BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've practically read all threads on a "grinding/rubbing" noise when car is cold and steering is turned left or right at low speeds/parked. Goes away when driven for 10 minutes. Noise only pops up on cold mornings ( < 50F outside).

Even took it to the dealer (its a 09 535i CPO), foreman also agrees its a body flex noise (won't be covered under CPO).

Random things pointed in other threads like greasing ball joints, control arms, bushings, tie rods

Can you anyone recommend in order of complexity which ones i can easily get to myself (i'm a total dork under the hood ..hehe) so i can start the process of elimination and any pics/steps on how to get to it?

Appreciate it!

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok..so maybe not those..its a process of elimination to figure out where the noise is coming from (feels like passenger side area in engine bay) so any other places to grease up?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I opened your tread because it sounded something new that a I am no aware of. As H F sad there is nothing to grease in front suspension as far as I know. Only way is to replace the suspension components. If you do not want to do complete refresh than find out which component is out and replace it. Take a look of engine mounts also.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Ok..so maybe not those..its a process of elimination to figure out where the noise is coming from (feels like passenger side area in engine bay) so any other places to grease up?
No,, there are no grease fittings on any suspension parts .. I think it it could be your wheel bearing starting to fail, I would look into that . I think that's the only part that can give that type of grinding noises.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same problem on my '94 325i convertible. Groans when cold at low speeds when I turn. More than likely it is the front struts. It did the same thing a few years back and the problem disappeared when I replaced the suspension with a performance package. But I did a lot more than replace the struts.
I recently put some Michelin Pilots on and after a month or two the problem got worse. But my driving habits significantly changed with those tires. I have no fear taking turns at any speed with those babies! Those tires are amazing!
I am going to replace just the struts in a few months, not the control arms or anything else, and will get back to this thread (I drive the car hard in the SF Bay area with the hills and over to Stinson Beach on Highway 1 so the struts need to be replaced).

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
My E61 (wagon) had a creaky front end, which turned out to be the bracing bars that run diagonally across the top of the engine compartment. Tightened them down, and it went away.

Funny enough, my car is creaking and groaning like the OP's, when exposed to sub-freezing temperatures (for the first time in a long time - I live in Arizona). Sure sounds like the strut mounts from the driver's seat (which include bearings that can get noisy). I suppose the easiest way to troubleshoot this is to spray a little lube into the area and see if the noise temporarily goes away.

So if you plan on replacing the struts, make sure and replace the strut mounts as well. Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,723 Posts
My E61 (wagon) had a creaky front end, which turned out to be the bracing bars that run diagonally across the top of the engine compartment. Tightened them down, and it went away.

Funny enough, my car is creaking and groaning like the OP's, when exposed to sub-freezing temperatures (for the first time in a long time - I live in Arizona). Sure sounds like the strut mounts from the driver's seat (which include bearings that can get noisy). I suppose the easiest way to troubleshoot this is to spray a little lube into the area and see if the noise temporarily goes away.

So if you plan on replacing the struts, make sure and replace the strut mounts as well. Cheap and easy.
On my car, the center point for those bars has threads that won't hold the required torque. There is a bulletin on it and I ordered a new part for the center.

·
BMWs since '87
554 Posts
Adding to a 9yo thread, my strut brace is constantly creaking and rattling. When I look at the bolts they're tight. I can get the spec 22lb-ft on them but I keep using the old bolts. Every time I re-torque the bolts the problem goes away for a while then returns.

I'm looking to add a plate to the back side of the strut bar that has close fitting holes for the two cast posts at the firewall, then have that welded to the back of the strut bar. Once done, do the same for the bolts to the strut towers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts