BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to increase power on my 550i

4358 15
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to increase power on my BMW 550i. I used to drive a 05 Subi sti n my BMW just feels to heavy n weak. Will a k&n filter help?
Thanks
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is a heavy car compared to a scooby.

The easiest way to increase power would be NOS...

I'd be surprised if you could even feel the difference with a K&N.
I was thinking that, yet I was wondering if a performance filter will help.
Thanks
Don't know what you're talking about, the 550 drives like a beast, remember it is a sedan. However, you could try tuning or NOS but if you are running NOS you may need to deactivate DSC. Also, what I do when I feel the need for speed I either drive in Sport mode or manual. Overall you could always trade up for the M5 if you need a sedan with sportscar speed because NOS is not practical if this is an everyday car.
As for power, I find my 535 has plenty even with stock tune. Can't imagine what the extra power would be like.

I came from an '08 Infiniti G37S 6MT and the 535 would walk all over it.
I think this car has plenty of power. Also you should definitely try sport mode, car responds faster and revs higher before changing gears. Here's some reading on performance. As you'll soon find out there are ways if you don't mind dropping anywhere from $3k for headers to17k for a supercharger
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1875000
Thank u all. I might not be driving it right, I might be changing gears to soon.
Easiest way to increase power is to LOSE WEIGHT.

Do you really for example need that spare tire? Aren't you going to call BMW or AAA anyways?
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 0-60 mph 5.0 Quarter mile 13.8

vs

2008 BMW 550i 0-60 mph 5.1 Quarter mile 13.5

So I would not say it's slow then your WRX Sti, I guess you meant WRX is lighter from the dead stop well it's true, even 535 feels lighter from dead stop but not faster.

You can supercharge this thing for 8 grand
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to increase power on my BMW 550i. I used to drive a 05 Subi sti n my BMW just feels to heavy n weak. Will a k&n filter help?
Thanks
Sell it and buy an e39 M5.
Thanks
+1 supercharge that thing!
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 0-60 mph 5.0 Quarter mile 13.8

vs

2008 BMW 550i 0-60 mph 5.1 Quarter mile 13.5

So I would not say it's slow then your WRX Sti, I guess you meant WRX is lighter from the dead stop well it's true, even 535 feels lighter from dead stop but not faster.

You can supercharge this thing for 8 grand
i can't believe someone will make such comment. i recently own 535Xi and most of the time my car shift at 2,500RPM. a reminder mine is 3L turbo while you have much bigger engine. may be time for a tuneup and checkup see if anything wrong?
The STI felt faster because it was AWD and launched a lot better then the 550i.
Also you have to remember the 5 Series is a different machine compared to the STI. :rofl:

Ask yourself, why did you purchase the 550i?
Just for pure speed? Then you purchased the wrong car.
For the space, luxury, comfort, power and good handling for such a big machine? Then this is the proper car. :bigpimp:
Sell it and buy a Subaru.
Thanks UltimateDriving, that's the reason why I bought the BMW. I guest I just need to get use to the BMW, which I like better than the Subaru for many reasons.
No problem dude, i've never driven a STI but i had a friend with a 08 STI, that thing launched like crazy due to AWD. :D
But i would not replace our rides with one of those, the STI ride was harsh, noisy, interior was cheap and kind of ugly which means it was fun while you really stepped on it but for everyday driving it became a PITA.

I guess it all depends on what you are expecting from your car. :thumbup:
Thanks UltimateDriving, that's the reason why I bought the BMW. I guest I just need to get use to the BMW, which I like better than the Subaru for many reasons.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.