BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to do smog check today and I was told by technicians that my car would fail smog check because car battery died and I have not driven enough miles since then. They were not able to advise me how much more miles exactly I would need to drive, but they said around 500 or in some cases even 1000 miles.

But I need smog certificate very soon because otherwise I can't renew registration in California. And with COVID19 it is really hard to ramp up miles as I pretty much don't drive anywhere else but grocery store.

So - Is there a way for me to know when car has ramped enough miles so that it is worth doing smog check again? I have ISTA/D, but not sure under which setting I could see any metrics related to smog check that could help me to know that car is ripe for smog check.

·
Anti-Hack
7,354 Posts
If your systems are in good health, you can drive 50 miles and be ready. You have to vary the speed, not really go higher than 50 mph, coast down from that speed a few times, hit stop and go... really vary it. The DME has to go through maybe 10 tests for the different readiness modules, and each subsequent test won't begin until the previous one completes. The cat ones are sometimes the trickiest to get through... it's damn near impossible in winter because some vehicles require ambient temps no less than 40*F. Took my F150 over 1000 miles to clear after I did the timing job, good thing I couldn't care less about getting pulled over. Miles don't mean anything, it's all about completing the specific tests, in order.

Any GOOD scanner will be able to tell you which readiness modules have cleared and which ones haven't. I'd assume ISTA should be able to tell you, but I don't have any idea. I have a handheld that tells me that stuff.

Here's how to complete the Ford driving cycle tests, which applies to pretty much any OBD2 car.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I have three different AUTEL scanners , including the$25 cheapies , and everyone has obd monitor status as a function.

We keep one in every car , historical when the cars were at colleges and if they popped a code, the girls were all trained to read the code and log it

Volvo is so tricky to get readiness that several models are actually exempted by model name, my record was 2500 miles on a v70 of non-readiness

·
Registered
437 Posts
You can pay your fees online, this will prevent you from incurring any late fee, you won’t get your sticker until the smog cert is complete. The smog check stations send the cert in electronically.

The drive cycle test as part of the readiness test also includes a cold start cycle, and an Evap test, having the tank level over 3/4 may help. Meaning it’s not only mileage based.

You might also check for hard faults, mine failed due to a thermostat being stuck open last year. CA changed the requirements regarding hard faults a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
3/4 tank or less to help the evap monitor ready. That’s usually the one that hangs up on vacuum based systems but the E83 are pump systems that are less picky.

Ac off
Keep it under 60
No full throttle operation

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ISTA/D under "OBD readiness" shows:

Diagnosis for:
Misfiring: Yes
Fuel System: Yes
Fuel Tank Ventilation: No
Oxygen Sensors: No
Oxygen Sensor Heating: No
Catalytic Converter:No
Catalytic Converter Heater: XXX
VANOS/Exhaust Gas Recirculation: XXX
Secondary Air System: XXX
Air Conditioning: XXX
Component Monitoring: Yes
Do I understand correctly that I need to drive the car until all "No" and "XXX" change to "Yes"? Or only some subset of them need to change to "Yes"?

·
Anti-Hack
7,354 Posts
In NY we’re only allowed a single NO before failing inspection, I don’t know about CA. I also don’t know about the XXX, my scanner just shows yes or no. You’ll definitely need to change those NOs to YESs. Did you try the OBD2 drive cycle instructions posted earlier?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,106 Posts
A Technical Bulletin has just recently been posted here on BF describing the mandatory drive cycle.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Xxxx probably means that circuit isn***8217;t applicable for your car

All the other No***8217;s need to turn to Yes, correct

Those OXS should go ready right away, there is likely a problem in that circuit. You will have wait for that to fault

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.