BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 08 X3 with a valve 4 misfiring code. I have a cylinder object about the size of a pop can running across top of both 3 and 4. Not sure what it is and how to remove it so I can replace valve 4 ignition coil.

Also. Is the 4th valve the 4th from front or back? Are the bolts torx heads?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
974 Posts
That cylinder is the valvetronic actuator. You should be able to remove the coil without that off. It's a bit tight alright.

Which bolts are you referring to?

If you take the valvetronic unit off, you should possibly plan on changing the gasket too.

I believe #1 is at the front of the car.

How many miles?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two sets of bolts. Male torx driver and female. Gotta love it. Just wrapped up a trip for the torx sockets and drinking a domestic beer (x3). So, once back at it I will be removing the inner set and hopefully freeing up some space to get to the root. I have 61k miles on my x3.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As Dangermouse said, you can get the coils out without removing the valvetronic motor. There is clearance. In fact, I was not able to get the valvetronic motor out without first removing the coils, because there was little access to its bolts.

Twisting the coils can help to get them out. You can also pry but don't use much force prying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.