BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 2004 X5 last week knowing that one of the doors does not open from the inside or out. I thought it would be simple to remove the panel and get access and fix it.

I am having a very hard time and no luck so far. I have the model with the quarter shade. I removed the panel that houses the shade, removed the trim and all the screws including the one behind the shade housing. I managed to pull the plastic part the has the string which unlocks the door when the handle is pulled. I tried to manually pull on the string in an attempt to release the latch and get the door opened. I hear it doing something by the latch but the door still wont open. I am unable to remove the panel because the door is closed and am very frustrated.

Does anyone have any tricks or recommendations? also, if I open the driver side door it exposes the screws of the henges on the door I am having trouble with. Could I just remove the henges and try to pull that door out or is it a bad idea?

It is worth mentioning that the outside handle is not seated properly and is kind of raised a bit.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thank you very much

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I bought this 2004 X5 last week knowing that one of the doors does not open from the inside or out. I thought it would be simple to remove the panel and get access and fix it.

I am having a very hard time and no luck so far. I have the model with the quarter shade. I removed the panel that houses the shade, removed the trim and all the screws including the one behind the shade housing. I managed to pull the plastic part the has the string which unlocks the door when the handle is pulled. I tried to manually pull on the string in an attempt to release the latch and get the door opened. I hear it doing something by the latch but the door still wont open. I am unable to remove the panel because the door is closed and am very frustrated.

Does anyone have any tricks or recommendations? also, if I open the driver side door it exposes the screws of the henges on the door I am having trouble with. Could I just remove the henges and try to pull that door out or is it a bad idea?

It is worth mentioning that the outside handle is not seated properly and is kind of raised a bit.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thank you very much
Your best bet is to remove door panel which is not easy but doable.
First , need to remove screws that hold door panel to the door body
IF you remove the rear seat - just seat on it and pull it up and it will come out, and make "special tool" to insert between the door panel and door body (may need to practice on the other side) you should be able to pull the inside door panel out so pins around are panel (and there is one clip in the middle of the door which needs to be released by pulling panel away from the door) are released. Than panel needs to be pulled up to unlatch few clips across the top . If you remove this panel you will have direct access to the latch mechanism and hi probability that this will allow you to open the door.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If the door handle is raised a bit that means that the door handle carrier mechanism is broken. Dealers usually carry stock on that part as it is known to break. I have changed it on my 2003 and 2005 X5's already. It is a lengthly process to replace so make sure you have enough time to do it.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
Only buy am oem door handle carrier when u get it open. Get it from the dealer or online at a reputable place. I used some decent ones off ebay and they didnt work 100% and broke withing 60days making me have to do the same repair 3x.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys. Everyone is right. It was a bit difficult but here is what i did to complete the entire job:

1- pulled up on the rear seat and popped it off the clips that hold it down. I pushed it away from the door I worked on to give me room
2- I removed the wood trim
3- unscrewed the 3 screws (1 behind the trim on the door, 1 behind the trim in the gap by the door handle and one on the bottom part which is exposed)
4- removed the shade panel by the quarter window (pulled the top back and pushed the clip down which holds the top part). Then pulled the shade panel up and off the bottom part holding it in place. This exposes another screw holding the door panel
5- I started pulled away at the panel from the bottom since it is the least secure part working my way up. The top part is held by metal clips and would need to be pulled straight back
6-remove the window button with a plastic pry tool and unplug before pulling the panel too far back.
7- unplug the speaker and the bottom door light then pull the door panel completely out. unclip the plastic part on the interior door handle and move it away from the door handle
8- remove the screw that holds the small piece of the door handle. To get to it you need to remove the oval plastic cover piece on the side of the door and use an allen key to remove making sure not to drop the screw into the door
9- remove the nut on the side of the exterior door level then pull the door lever out with a screw driver or plastic tool then push the handle down to release it.
10-turn the handle down about 25 50 35 percent then pull back. the handle should come out without force.
11- carefully pull back on the vapor barrier to expose enough room to work.
12-remove the door handle carrier from the inside of the door. In my case i had to remove the lock metal rod connecting to the lock because it was in the way.

I am writing this the next day of the job so i may have missed a couple of small details but nothing major. One thing I struggle dwith when putting the new handle carrier was getting it to line up. There is a track like part of groove if you will that the top part of the carrier should go in. If you put the carrier and it does not sit right its because you did not seat the carrier properly in the groove. easy mistake to make because it is very hard to see or even manuever in that tiny space.

PS. before removing the old carrier make sure to unplug the cable at 2 points 1-ball joing should be pulled straight back 2- the white plastic fitting above it should also be pulled back. Not doing so might make it hard to move the carrier around with that tight space.

Hope this helps someone down the line not struggle the way I did. But I did get the door to open from inside and out just like they are supposed to after this job was done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts