BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

How do you remove the rear seats in fold down rear seats?

I'm trying to get dice wires under the rears seat, under the carpet through where the stock wiring goes through to get it to go through the center console through transmission and up to the radio area.

Thanks in advance, I heard it's just lift up and sliding on normal seats, but i tried on mine, and it didn't work.

My bentley manual only shows how to remove standard rear seats... not even the wagons.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I feel your pain. I just went through the same problem two or three weeks ago. Fortunately, I found a site that had info for e39s WITH fold down seats. (see the section about the rear speakers - http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/speakerlocations.htm) The verdict? Just like normal seats. But finding that site gave me the confidence I needed to pull THAT hard (I was afraid I was gonna damage the seat - you have to pull THAT hard). I don't know what year yours is, and if it matters (it probably doesn't since we're both talking about e39s), but mine is a 2002 540i, and you just grab the front bottom edge of the rear seat and pull straight up. HARD. The first time I did it, I was really concerned I was gonna damage something. I don't think it had ever been removed before.

The fastening points for the seat (there are two of them) are in the center of the left and right seating areas (imagine you're sitting in the spot behind the driver or passenger, the area where the fastener is located is between your knees but, obviously, under the seat.)

FYI, I ran my DICE cable along the driver side of the car. Under the rear seat, under the door sill trim up to the driver's foot well, up under the panel with the dead pedal, removed the panel on the top of the driver foot well and ran the cable (carefully avoiding pedal linkages and such) toward the front of the center console area (i.e., near, but above the gas pedal). Removed the carpeted trim piece on the right of the drivers foot well area that's attached to the console. There's an area behind and toward the front of that panel where the DICE box can be tucked in without a need for fasteners - the carpeted trim will hold it in place when reinstalled. Then ran the iPod cable back along the bottom edge of the carpeted trim toward the hand brake area, where the iPod lives. The cables are just about the perfect length for this arrangement.

Hope that all helps

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I got it out.. I just needed some balls to pull it hard...

I wired my dice like this...

DICE box sits inside the center console storage area... i have the sliding one, and non opening, so there was empty space there... perfect...

then wires go through the transmission area and come up in the front near the front cup holders...

I bought a extension cable for aux input, and placed the squeezed the extension in through the handbrake trim from inside the console... Can't see it unless you open the leather flaps..

Thanks... I also hardwired clarion up through the front vents today while i was doing the dice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wait.. you can fold down the seats of the e39? Hmmm.. i gotta check this out.. But when you mean fold down.. do you mean like just the seat not the metal behind it? I would like to see how it sounds having no back seat when my speakers are up.. hahaha that would be nice..

·
Registered
629 Posts
525i guy said:
Wait.. you can fold down the seats of the e39? Hmmm.. i gotta check this out.. But when you mean fold down.. do you mean like just the seat not the metal behind it? I would like to see how it sounds having no back seat when my speakers are up.. hahaha that would be nice..
Not all E39's have fold down seats.

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
R1150RS said:
I feel your pain. I just went through the same problem two or three weeks ago. Fortunately, I found a site that had info for e39s WITH fold down seats. (see the section about the rear speakers - http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/speakerlocations.htm) The verdict? Just like normal seats. But finding that site gave me the confidence I needed to pull THAT hard (I was afraid I was gonna damage the seat - you have to pull THAT hard). I don't know what year yours is, and if it matters (it probably doesn't since we're both talking about e39s), but mine is a 2002 540i, and you just grab the front bottom edge of the rear seat and pull straight up. HARD. The first time I did it, I was really concerned I was gonna damage something. I don't think it had ever been removed before.

The fastening points for the seat (there are two of them) are in the center of the left and right seating areas (imagine you're sitting in the spot behind the driver or passenger, the area where the fastener is located is between your knees but, obviously, under the seat.)

FYI, I ran my DICE cable along the driver side of the car. Under the rear seat, under the door sill trim up to the driver's foot well, up under the panel with the dead pedal, removed the panel on the top of the driver foot well and ran the cable (carefully avoiding pedal linkages and such) toward the front of the center console area (i.e., near, but above the gas pedal). Removed the carpeted trim piece on the right of the drivers foot well area that's attached to the console. There's an area behind and toward the front of that panel where the DICE box can be tucked in without a need for fasteners - the carpeted trim will hold it in place when reinstalled. Then ran the iPod cable back along the bottom edge of the carpeted trim toward the hand brake area, where the iPod lives. The cables are just about the perfect length for this arrangement.

Hope that all helps
Perfect. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts