BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to remove excessive clear-coat

3258 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  detailsander_guru
I fixed a scratch and applied clear-coat.

By mistake I spray clear-coat on non effected area also and end up with a run about 5 to 6 inches.

Please suggest me the way to remove the excessive (run) clear-coat from car without removing the base coat?

Thanks in advance.

Srini
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I would try clay bar, followed by a very light polish, and wax
If the run has any real thickness to it, you are best to wet sand it with a sanding block to flatten it before bringing back the shine with polishing compound. Wet sanding takes significant skill. I suggest that you get an estimate from a quality body shop. It should not be an expensive correction.

Good luck!
+1000

If it is a run then a clay bar will have no effect, that only works for overspray. Wet sanding is the only way- if you are not very experienced at it I would go right to a body shop, it should be very cheap to fix...
If the run has any real thickness to it, you are best to wet sand it with a sanding block to flatten it before bringing back the shine with polishing compound. Wet sanding takes significant skill. I suggest that you get an estimate from a quality body shop. It should not be an expensive correction.

Good luck!
If you are asking this question, then don't try it yourself. A GOOD, real, actual detailer will be able to take care of this for not much money. He'll need a heavy cutting compound or a wet sand.

I'm not being flippant when I say that. Your best bet is to go to the detailing forum and ask where the nearest pros are. Hint - they're not the guys who work at the car wash.

Edit:

Saw you are in NJ. Contact this guy: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=245919
Guys***8217; thank you very much for your suggestions and looks detailing is better option for me.
On the off chance that you have been utilizing your vehicle for some time, perhaps you notice that the paint is chipping off, or you are essentially enamored with an alternate tone. Removing car paint is definitely not an intricate exercise on the off chance that you have the correct tools. You should recollect that your vehicle speaks to you and that stains or lopsided paint will make the vehicle look awful. It is anything but a smart thought to apply paint to the current paint; all things being equal, you should begin by removing the old paint prior to applying another coat. Check our website, we'll provide guidelines on tools that will help you when removing care paint.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.