BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, in the process of parking my car on the street I scarped the right front bumper against a high side walk. (Yes, I AM SO PISSED AT MY SELF!!! :mad:) I tried using a damp cloth and started to rub the area but I saw that the paint from the bumper was coming off. It's located right by my right fog light. Do I need to purchase a whole new bumper? What does that cost for parts/labor? Does BMW have touch-up paint I could purchase? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

·
I'll do what I want!
288 Posts
I use a kit by a company called Langka http://www.langka.com Their website can explain it better than I can. BS I'm just to lazy to type more than I have to. I use it all the time on my Vette to fix stone chips, never had the need for the BMW. If the bottom line is that if it bothers you enough ytour considering having the bumper replaced what the hell you got nothing to loose by trying it. I think it's around $40 for a kit and the kit lasts a long time.

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will check it out as well as maybe take it to my BMW Center and see what they say. I'm just so angry with myself. UGH!

·
Go Phillies!
638 Posts
There must have been some bad juju this past weekend.

I was pulling into a parking spot at a diner and the parking block was up on a 3/4 angle. Because the parking spot was in an angled corner I couldn't see the block, I only heard the scrape. I thought I was going to be sick.

When I bent down to take a look, the very edge of the passenger side and the bottom of the front end took a nice scrape. bmw4you, I am right there w/you I still am :mad:. It was totally avoidable. If I had just parked in another spot or if the diner had their parking blocks in the correct position...

I mean the day before, I just drove out of my way for its hand wash. It didn't have one swirl, now...

I will take a look at the website posted by dicor and hope for the best, but I hate to think of the car at BMW for any period of time for a paint job.:cry:

·
LzrBimr
97 Posts
I made the same lame mistake in Tahoe a couple of weeks ago...a light post that had a concrete block below my hood line enabled me to impart a lovely road-rash style scrape onto my front passenger bumper....NICE : (

·
Registered
164 Posts
Iv had good luck with using 2K grit sandpaper and removing all you can before the paint starts to get thin on the unscratched parts. Then washing good and masking, primering and painting. Expensive part is getting a SPRAY can of the correct paint color. You should then use some rubbing compound on the area to try to blend the line where it was masked and use some clear to add a little depth/shine and toughness.

Stepdaughter was very happy with the job I did to fix her 2 month old taurus..

·
Go Phillies!
638 Posts
My kit from Langka was shipped today and I picked up my touch-up paint Saturday. I will take pics as soon as my mission is accomplished.

Funny thing, when I showed it to my S/A, he didn't even notice it. But, I know it's there. :eek:

·
Registered
971 Posts
BMW sells touch up kits containing 12 ml of paint and 12 ml of clearcoat. Not perfect, but it is acceptable for my daily driver.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There must have been some bad juju this past weekend.

I was pulling into a parking spot at a diner and the parking block was up on a 3/4 angle. Because the parking spot was in an angled corner I couldn't see the block, I only heard the scrape. I thought I was going to be sick.
TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!! i've been driving my 3 week old 335 very carefully and had no marks on my car. this weekend my gf's brother asked me to run to bestbuy to buy an ipod cable. going into the inclided entrance to the garage, i accidently turned over a curb that i couldnt see. since the curb was L-shaped, i somehow managed to get my car completely over the curb before my wheel hit. so i scratched the bottom of my car and F'ed up my two passenger side rims. :mad: :bawling: now i have to find a way to bend those rims so BMW will send me new ones under my wheel insurance :D

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Today, in the process of parking my car on the street I scarped the right front bumper against a high side walk. (Yes, I AM SO PISSED AT MY SELF!!! :mad:) I tried using a damp cloth and started to rub the area but I saw that the paint from the bumper was coming off. It's located right by my right fog light. Do I need to purchase a whole new bumper? What does that cost for parts/labor? Does BMW have touch-up paint I could purchase? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:
Same boat. In the past I have had body shop fill and repair. Don't know if that will work now. Waiting until I have a chance to leave the car for a few days.

·
Nerd
1,149 Posts
You can take it to a good paint and body shop that regularly deals with BMWs.

They can do a good touch up but it will never be the same but will prevent further paint loss/peeling OR you can get them to repaint the entire bumper and blend it to the rest of the car for anywhere from around 500 to 1000 bucks. If you have a crack or dent on the bumper, you are stuck buying a new one. They don't repair well and the best you can do is to cover up the damage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.