BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you place O ring in the short tube at the oil pan or do you put it on the tube?

I am confused, seems like it should be in place before the tube is inserted but afraid to push it in to the oil pan.
I'm stuck.
Please assist

·
Registered
150 Posts
I feared the same thing and put it on the dip-stick tube first. Inserted the tube until the metal ridge was about an inch from seating. Then with a lot of oil on the o-ring and around the hole, nudged the o-ring in place with a dull plastic pry tool. Then just pushed the dipstick tube to the seated position.
Good luck.

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
There are two O-rings at the top of the dipstick. I have removed one of them to make it easier to extract the stick.

Install the O-ring from the bottom of the stick. Once you get it to the handle, just roll it into place.

·
plays well with others...
301 Posts
tube to oil pan:
the correct oring will seem oversized.
place the oring on the tube.
clean and lube the oil pan hole.
lube the crp out of the oring.
(motor oil is fine)
push the tube with oring attached into the oil pan while twisting the tube.
repeat if the oring does not go in the first time.

the 8 cyl. uses a fork shaped bracket to retain the tube.
tighten the bracket a few turns, back it off a few turns and repeat until the oring seats into the hole.

·
Wingnut
3,847 Posts
on the I6, theres one bolt that needs to be removed to allow one to remove the complete dipstick tube. as for all the other details, the above answers are right

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
Wow, did I misread this one!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called a local BMW shop which has helped me out before.
They said to place the 0 ring in the recess on the oil pan. Not on the dipstick tube.
There is a grove which the O ring must sit in about an inch down inside the recess.
Grease up the tube and slide it in.
It worked.
If you place the O ring on the tube, it will just push up to the top.
It will not set in the groove and you will leak oil.

I have one more O ring question.
Replacing the oil separator and the hoses was, possibly, the most aggravating job I have ever done on a car!
I am still not sure if one of the hoses has "snapped into place.

It is the hose which goes into the plenum.
The one with the nipple that connects a small hose to the rear (nearer the fire wall) end of the plenum.

The larger part of the hose (with the nipple splitting of on an angle) has an O ring.
Is that O ring supposed to go inside the connector on the plenum or just butt up to it.
No matter how hard I push, I cannot seem to make the "snap" sound or get the O ring inside.

Can anyone help me with this dilemma?
I have quit for the evening and should be able to finish in an hour or so in the morning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts