BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check out Step 9 in the thread below:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517819

Step 5 shows you how to remove the serpentine belts. I recommend removing the radiator fan first to give yourself more room to work with. I think one of the steps in the thread also shows this. If not and you have an electric radiator fan there is only one bolt on the left side, a pop clip on the right side and the removal of two electrical connections. Then you can just slide out the radiator fan.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'm facing this with my X3 but am a bit confused on the pump. If I'm reading this correctly there is a mechanical pump in earlier X3s but an electrical pump on later models

I'm a march 2006 build and think I have an electrical pump?

I'm seriously bummered about the lack of a good manual for my X3. It looks like Bentley isn't going to do this, Alldata doesn't do this, and no way I'm getting into trying to port Windows onto my Macs.

Is the day-by-day subscription the only option right now in 2014?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I'm a march 2006 build and think I have an electrical pump?
Don't think build date within the year matters - you have the M54 engine so you have a mechanical pump.

Fairly easy to confirm that you have a mechanical water pump by looking at the serpentine belt (driving the alternator, PAS pump and water pump).

Should be straightforward to replace compared to the electrical one on the N52 engine.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Thanks super course. I spent 30 minutes with a garden hose listening to the cricket-like chirp and have convinced myself it's the power steering pump, not the water pump.

Finally got SWMBO to gently turn wheel and sure enough cricket chirp changed a bit.

Reading forums PS chirp seems to be chronic but benign Bimmer malady.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
46 manual

re the lack of a manual ......it's a nuisance .....but .....just plug into the 46 model saloon x drives etc and you'll have the Lions share of what you need

also do the same for internet/fest/youtube vehicle info searches

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.