Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous phone was an iPhone 6S. My car is a '14 328d with blue tooth that works for phone calls but not streaming audio. With the old phone I used an auxilary cord that connected to the port in the console and to the headphone jack in the phone. That worked, I could stream audio.

Now with the XR, it does not. I plugged the usb cord the phone came with into the usb port in the console and then into the one port the XR has. The car dash screen says not connected when it's hooked up.

A friend has a base '15 Mini Cooper that this works in. It befuddles me that BMW's have less tech features than much cheaper cars. My '14 Passat SE had considerably more features. Streaming audio, an alarm, a backup camera, voice command blue tooth, to name a few.

Do I need to take my car to someone who can code streaming audio? Do I need a different kind of cord? I tried turning off and on the USB Accessories option in Face ID & Pass code with no effect.

Is there a blue tooth wireless usb stick that would work? What specific brand or model number? I tried one one time from Best Buy and it didn't work either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
Quick question(s): Does the new iPhone connect to the car via Bluetooth? Can you play audio from a Flash Drive when it's is plugged into the cars USB port? Have you selected "USB" on the Infotainment menu? Can the car charge the iPhone thru the USB cable? Have you checked for any BMW Infotainment updated software?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 It connects to the car via Bluetooth, but only through voice calls
2 I haven't tried a flash drive, but I did try a wireless connector from Best Buy. It didn't work.
3 I don't have an infotainment menu per se, but when in audio mode, it says the usb port is not connected.
4 The car can charge through the USB cable.
5 I went on a website, can't remember the name, for updated software. It said mine didn't need it.

Quick question(s): Does the new iPhone connect to the car via Bluetooth? Can you play audio from a Flash Drive when it's is plugged into the cars USB port? Have you selected "USB" on the Infotainment menu? Can the car charge the iPhone thru the USB cable? Have you checked for any BMW Infotainment updated software?

·
Registered
8,890 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Or use Tune2Air a Bluetooth dongle. ditto on the nickel and dime tech stuff, my 2008 Acura had better tech. now the engine on the other hand ..... I use the dongle, works fine on my 2013

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
I would, at the very least, go to the BMW Software Update page (https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html) and check for any infotainment updates to the software now present. Lots of folks have been having problems since Apple released iOS 11. Assuming that you have an AUX port in the 328d, you may have to go back to the way you connected previously (Headphone jack to the cars AUX IN port.

·
just copacetic!!!
2019 230i MSptPkg
1,643 Posts
Seems like with the upgraded iDrive, some of the previously connected auxiliaries either don't work or need a different work-around. My 2016 F36 has the previous generation iDrive and it connects and reads the iPod I have through the USB in the center armrest. I'm also able to stream audio/phone via Bluetooth with my iPhone X. My 2019 F22 with the upgraded iDrive sometimes recognizes the iPod via USB, but sometimes it's frozen. It does, however, stream audio/phone via Bluetooth.

Update: just read a post on the F22 site with having audio USB issues with their iPhone 7. Someone suggested updating the iDrive software and that seemed to correct the connectivity issue.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Code 6NS in your car, it has the hardware but not the software activated.

6NS was standard for MY2015-on (BMW and MINI use the same iDrive hardware).

Your XR does not work as it does not have an analog out (3.5mm jack) as your 6S used to have. Lightning cable will work in your car once 6NS is coded in.

My previous phone was an iPhone 6S. My car is a '14 328d with blue tooth that works for phone calls but not streaming audio. With the old phone I used an auxilary cord that connected to the port in the console and to the headphone jack in the phone. That worked, I could stream audio.

Now with the XR, it does not. I plugged the usb cord the phone came with into the usb port in the console and then into the one port the XR has. The car dash screen says not connected when it's hooked up.

A friend has a base '15 Mini Cooper that this works in. It befuddles me that BMW's have less tech features than much cheaper cars. My '14 Passat SE had considerably more features. Streaming audio, an alarm, a backup camera, voice command blue tooth, to name a few.

Do I need to take my car to someone who can code streaming audio? Do I need a different kind of cord? I tried turning off and on the USB Accessories option in Face ID & Pass code with no effect.

Is there a blue tooth wireless usb stick that would work? What specific brand or model number? I tried one one time from Best Buy and it didn't work either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
1 It connects to the car via Bluetooth, but only through voice calls
2 I haven't tried a flash drive, but I did try a wireless connector from Best Buy. It didn't work.
3 I don't have an infotainment menu per se, but when in audio mode, it says the usb port is not connected.
4 The car can charge through the USB cable.
5 I went on a website, can't remember the name, for updated software. It said mine didn't need it.
My 2014 also came with BT only for phone calls. I did not buy the overpriced "tech" pacakge. But the hardware for audio streaming is there!

Using USB stopped working reliably once I upgraded my phone from an iphone 5 to a 6+, which draws a lot more current than the 5, so the phone would constantly make that *bleep* sound when you connect to power and the audio would reset. I think it was overloading the weak-ass USB port in the console. It completely failed when I got an iphone 8+.

I ended up coding the BT audio and it works fine, but once you do that you can never connect to the USB port again or else it'll wipe out the coding, at least in my experience. I keep a 12V USB plug and a charge cable in the car for long trips.

Look around here for coding info, it's way too in depth to regurgitate it all here. You'll need a ODB wireless dongle and some coding software. I use the BimmerCode app on iOS, it's like $30 or so and the dongle is maybe the same price from Amazon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts