BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
I changed water pump, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, coolant reservoir tank ( did not replace the broken transmission coolant sensor), bled the car. So now main problem is car overheats standing still within 5 mins. Rad fan is not coming on.
I would like to remove the remove and rad fan and bench test it to rule it out as problem. Does anyone know how to test the fan on the bench? or offer any other solutions.
Thx all

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
4,971 Posts
Hello folks,
I changed water pump, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, coolant reservoir tank ( did not replace the broken transmission coolant sensor), bled the car. So now main problem is car overheats standing still within 5 mins. Rad fan is not coming on.
I would like to remove the remove and rad fan and bench test it to rule it out as problem. Does anyone know how to test the fan on the bench? or offer any other solutions.
Thx all
Broken transmission coolant sensor?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,106 Posts
Hello folks,
Thx all
I believe that the Brush-Less DC fan is checked by the ECU on every start up; commanded 100% speed then listens to the spin down. If the ECU can know that the fan is defective then a DTC is set.

There are a bunch of E83 engines, some of which have Electronic Coolant Pumps with special requirements, handling, installation, filling, first start, bleeding. Vacuum fill is required. A dry ECP is ruined when it is run dry due to improper filling.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If your X3 has the m54 engine (‘06 or earlier), it’s hard to bench test. It uses a pulse width modulator (PWM) signal to activate the fan.

so leave it in the car and test with INPA and some other second level scanners

Does fan spin when you turn on AC?

you can also get any used fan (known working) from a similar vintage BMW with same connector, plug it in, lay on top of engine bay and test it.

BTW…I recently replaced my electric aux fan in my ‘05 X5 with TYC brand (lifetime warranty) and am happy with it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,
Thanks for the responses. I have 2005 M54 so no electric pump. This confirms fan can not be bench tested. I do have OSBD2 reader, so will try that to see what codes pop up. I have feeling something is up with the ECU. Fingers crossed.

·
Anti-Hack
7,357 Posts
Turn on the AC to force the radiator fan to actuate.

A scantool that can read BMW codes will show a fan activation error code 2EFE if the fan is being commanded to turn on but isn't. A general OBD2 code reader most likely won't. If the fan is inoperable, it's much more likely that the fan has failed, rather than the ECU.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,272 Posts

·
7,272 Posts
This just happened on our daughters '04 X3 2.5i on Saturday. There was a storm delay at softball and she was just sitting in the parking lot with the AC on when she got a ding and the temp jumped to red and she shut it off. She said AC wasn't blowing cold at all, and no steam/smoke or puddles.
Yesterday I hooked up the Foxwell 510 to check it out. I didn't see any codes for the fan but when I tried activating it all it did was a little jerk.
FCP is over $700 so I ordered some cheap aftermarket one on Prime for $242.

Edit: when activating the fan with a scan tool it may take a few seconds before it decides to spin.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
4,971 Posts
This just happened on our daughters '04 X3 2.5i on Saturday. Yesterday I hooked up the Foxwell 510 to check it out. I didn't see any codes for the fan but when I tried activating it all it did was a little jerk.
FCP is over $700 so I ordered some cheap aftermarket one on Prime for $242.
And this solved the fan problem?
Have you tested the original fan?
Finally, what was the cause of the fan not working?

which one (fan) did you purchase btw?
Thanks

·
7,272 Posts
And this solved the fan problem?
Have you tested the original fan?
Finally, what was the cause of the fan not working?

which one (fan) did you purchase btw?
Thanks
She just had the problem Saturday. It was yesterday I used the Foxwell 510 to control the fan through the OBD-II and all it did was a tiny jerk, wouldn't kick on. I'm assuming the cause is the 18 years and 258k miles burnt it out.
It was about 10pm last night when I order it so I may not know if it fixed it until the end of the week (shipping time + I have to swap it in). But this is the one I ordered.
Automotive tire Font Rim Screenshot Circle

·
Wingnut
5,023 Posts
dunno about topaz brand electrics, but i purchased one of their fan shrouds for a 528i a while back, and it fit pretty much perfect, just some light file work for the expansion tank bleeder screw hole.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts