BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,428 Posts
Yeah, i think this is the one I ordered as well...i think it gets to me by Friday.
Shipped from Arizona and in Ohio now, supposed to be here by "end of day" tomorrow but says estimated delivery is between 9-noon...not that it matters I'll be at work then the daughter that drives the X3 has a softball doubleheader.

Edit: delivered Friday at 10:11am...hope it ain't raining around 8pm and maybe I can work on it.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
5,134 Posts
Yeah, i think this is the one I ordered as well...i think it gets to me by Friday.
Yeah got it in the other day. Shipped it right back yesterday.
Crap! Totally! After plugging it in....i think it twitched... discussed,
Went to the boneyard today found one (but was beat up) they wanted to charge me $50 Bucks unit didn't have the shroud. I left it all on the counter. Ebay here i come!
Called the area BMW dealer...$11 hundred bucks...and that's without the shroud!...at least new.

·
7,428 Posts
Yeah got it in the other day. Shipped it right back yesterday.
Crap! Totally! After plugging it in....i think it twitched... discussed,
Went to the boneyard today found one (but was beat up) they wanted to charge me $50 Bucks unit didn't have the shroud. I left it all on the counter. Ebay here i come!
Called the area BMW dealer...$11 hundred bucks...and that's without the shroud!...at least new.
Strange, the one I got works.
FCP has the OEM unit listed at over $700 so I knew the dealership price would be insane.

Edit: "worked" - past tense? The other day needle shot to red, I didn't fully check it out yet but there was a strange noise and the fan wasn't running so I unplugged it and the nosie stopped. Exactly 4 months? There was also a 6" wet spot on the driveway right below the reservoir but everything under the hood looked dry.
Edit 2: plugged it back in and grabbed my Foxwell, fan works fine now. Not sure why it was making that noise but I certainly need to refresh some other cooling system parts.

·
BeeemerBro
5,134 Posts
I found this very interesting! You may too...good description on the functions of these fans.

Currently I'm haggling over a oem fan over at fea bay...$230?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
BeeemerBro
5,134 Posts
That's it! My car's problem.Took me 5 fans to figure that out!Needs freon! I do not hear the compressor clutch kick on. I suspected it but wasn't certain. Tried the new fan out on one car and it works perfectly...tried the fan on the other car and nothing but,
this car has been having a/c problems for some time . Got to start by changing that valve. It wasn't the fan...it was the compressor not coming on due to not having freon...therefore the fan will not kick on.

·
BeeemerBro
5,134 Posts
That's all partially true from me, without going into a mountain of detail ...for the 05 fan/clutch problem i switched the horn relay with the fan relay. Located... Behind...the first glovebox fuse panel.
Had to remove the entire glove box (7 Phillips screws).
Resulting in the fan activating.

Now I'll have the A/C charged by the shop...best to have this done professionally in hopes the system will not have to be addressed for years to come!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello folks,
I changed water pump, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, coolant reservoir tank ( did not replace the broken transmission coolant sensor), bled the car. So now main problem is car overheats standing still within 5 mins. Rad fan is not coming on.
I would like to remove the remove and rad fan and bench test it to rule it out as problem. Does anyone know how to test the fan on the bench? or offer any other solutions.
Thx all
Pressure test it with provided plug taps in kit

·
7,428 Posts
Pressure test it with provided plug taps in kit
Pressure test a fan? Either it runs or it doesn't run, measuring CFM's is the engineers are supposed to do when they spec the fan during the design stage before they start rolling of the assembly line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pressure test a fan? Either it runs or it doesn't run, measuring CFM's is the engineers are supposed to do when they spec the fan during the design stage before they start rolling of the assembly line.
I was referring to radiator it must have been a combined thread that pasted to this as well, correct you can’t pressure test fans🤣 rather radiators

21 - 32 of 32 Posts