BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i'm not waiting around for my coolarnt expanion tank to fail and gat a used one from a 04 325 with 30K miles.(i know i'm supposto get New one but I'm too cheap)
its in really good condition and you can clearly see the P/n sticker thats still not faded and damaged.

I just wanted some advice how to thermally reinforce it so it wouldt fail in the fuitire.
wrap it with aluminum tape to shield from enginer heat? is just one of my ideas
what are yours.

also what specific area fails on the expansion tank how can i back it up to prevent fuiter breakdown.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Hi.

I think you are not going to accomplish anything.

The problem with a ductile material such as this plastic is that over time it will/may heat stress and fracture at almost any point in the material, either at a surface point or at a seam or other join.

If you "found" a used one in good condition, great.

I would personally submit your marginal cost of the part is much less than you labor time to put on a new one, but it's your car.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts

·
Paraglide! Walk on air!
1,260 Posts
A used expansion tank that costs $40 new? :tsk:

Used brakes????!? :yikes:

Why not go all the way and get used oil and filter at the junk yard too? (Obviously I am kidding. Just proving a point.)

There is a fine line between being frugal and ridiculous. Don't cross it.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
How to reinforce a used E46 coolant tank? Simple.

1. Gently pick up tank; inspect all 4 sides and the bottom. Note any suspect areas.
2. Throw said tank as far as you can; then pick it up and throw it again. Jump on it and smash it into pieces
3. Buy a new tank and install it.

Seriously; don't even THINK about installing a used tank.

Might want to invest some time in a spelling lesson instead.

·
Paraglide! Walk on air!
1,260 Posts
active sells a metal expansion tank
Yep they do, but it's pricey. IIRC, it's about $275, and it will need some customizations to install it correctly. Plus it's their first version of the tank, a "beta test" if you will, not ready for prime time yet.

·
*^^^^^^^^*
1,719 Posts
Not to start a new thread...

Is aftermarket OK ($50) or stick with OEM (despite the fact they crack) ?? Any thoughts on that?

P.S I heard they improved OEM tanks so may be they last longer now...:dunno:

·
Paraglide! Walk on air!
1,260 Posts
I'd stick with OEM. There is no data to prove that aftermarket tanks last longer.

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
well i'm not waiting around for my coolarnt expanion tank to fail and gat a used one from a 04 325 with 30K miles.(i know i'm supposto get New one but I'm too cheap)
its in really good condition and you can clearly see the P/n sticker thats still not faded and damaged.

I just wanted some advice how to thermally reinforce it so it wouldt fail in the fuitire.
wrap it with aluminum tape to shield from enginer heat? is just one of my ideas
what are yours.

also what specific area fails on the expansion tank how can i back it up to prevent fuiter breakdown.
There have already been some good ideas on how to reinforce that extra tank. For my entry, I think you should grind up 50 one-dollar bills and make a paper-mache paste with a good epoxy. Then spread it liberally around the entire tank. It will have a neat green tinge to it that says "Money."

It doesn't really matter how many miles are on any given expansion tank, or how it looks. More miles are worse, but that free tank is already 5 years old. The plastic gets brittle and breaks down over time, given the heat of it's environment. That 'cheap' expansion tank will be very expensive if/when breaks and you overheat your engine.

·
Peace
195 Posts
My Tank went without warning, no leaks or anything. I was driving along, and instantly in a cloud of antifreeze and steam. There was a 6 inch crack on the entire drivers side of the tank. Buy new!!

·
*^^^^^^^^*
1,719 Posts
My Tank went without warning, no leaks or anything. I was driving along, and instantly in a cloud of antifreeze and steam. There was a 6 inch crack on the entire drivers side of the tank. Buy new!!
what was your mileage when that happened?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts