BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been lingering for a while and this is my first post...basically, I'm in Australia and ordered a Z4M Coupe on 2 May (as soon as BMW Australia revealed local pricing) and I'm getting a bit impatient! At the time, I was promised an August/September delivery.

Now we've just moved in to August I'm naturally keen to get the car...but the salesmen can't really tell me when/where the car is (exactly). All he can say is "I've just brought your car up on the computer and there is nothing shown in regards to shipping details but the status is RS which from my understanding tells us that that they've received the order...".

I then asked him to contact BMW Australia to see if there was any more info...he did this and the reply was "they have confirmed that the car was a week 30 production and would be finished so it is either already in the hands of the shipping company or on a truck heading to the ship".

My biggest concern is that the car has not yet been built (especially considering the rumour that the factory isn't building any more coupes until September)...if this is all true then I'll be lucky to see the car before December.

So, I guess what I'm asking for is: does anyone know how I can find out exactly what the status is of my car? I've heard how you guys in the US talk about production status codes - the only code my dealer can tell me is "RS" - perhaps I've ordered the lightweight version?! ;)

Apparently the car does have a VIN/chassis number (I saw this on the salesmen's PC screen) - would this help in tracking it down?

(Also, anyone else on here located in Oz and waiting for their M Coupe?).

I've not yet even see an M Coupe (other than photos)...and, as far as I'm aware, no coupes (of either kind) have arrived in Australia as yet - apparently I'm getting one of the first ones. The Oz spec comes fully loaded so the only real choice was colour...I've gone for silver grey with light sepang interior (and the aluminium dash). I can't wait to get it...which is the problem!

Thanks.

PS The dealer/sales guy I'm dealing with is a fair enough bloke and I've bought cars from him before - so I sort of trust what he's saying but I'd still like more info on what's going on.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
eureka said:
Apparently the car does have a VIN/chassis number (I saw this on the salesmen's PC screen) - would this help in tracking it down?
Do you have (or can get) the last seven digits of the vin number?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the VIN number but I'll try and get it off the dealer today. Will this help me find out where the car is? Thanks.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
eureka said:
I don't have the VIN number but I'll try and get it off the dealer today. Will this help me find out where the car is? Thanks.
You may want to start with the production number which is assigned to your order when it is accepted by BMW (at least in the US that's how it works). I have a production number, but no VIN yet. My car is scheduled to go into production in late August.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to ask for production number :rolleyes:...but did get the last 7 digits of the VIN: LF78155. If the production number is important then I can go back and try and get that too.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
eureka said:
Forgot to ask for production number :rolleyes:...but did get the last 7 digits of the VIN: LF78155. If the production number is important then I can go back and try and get that too.
All set. Will see what I can find out.

·
Forever Fast
225 Posts
Hey buddy. I ordered an M Coupe in early July, and the salesbloke (who was cool) was implying September, early October. So long.... Asked him not to call me with any warning until the day... so I don't have to lose too much sleep in the night or nights before. Please post when it does come your way. Your choices sound great. I ummed and ahhed over silver-grey and interlagos both with black for ages, and ended up with the blue. Still pretty torn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it was the same for me Silver Grey vs Interlagos...in the end I went for Silver Grey because I'd owned a car in that colour before and really liked it. I don't think you can go wrong with either colour though.

Great to know there's atleast one other Aussie on here who has a Z4M Coupe on order!

·
Forever Fast
225 Posts
Yeah. I asked the dealer how many coupes were on order for Australia so far. He checked it out and came back with 29. That was a month ago and includes non M's and may be way off.. so take that with a grain of salt.

But is it such a bad thing to have one of the next run? For September or whenever? Impatience aside, there's a chance it might be an 07 build in that case. I'd have it right now if I could of course. ;)

What have you seen out your way? Closest I've seen is a new Silver-Grey M roadster (aluminum and black) on display in the main Melbourne dealership. They wouldn't even let me drive it they are so rare here at the moment. The colour looked the ducks nutz on it!

·
Registered
458 Posts
eureka said:
Yes, it was the same for me Silver Grey vs Interlagos...in the end I went for Silver Grey because I'd owned a car in that colour before and really liked it. I don't think you can go wrong with either colour though.

Great to know there's atleast one other Aussie on here who has a Z4M Coupe on order!
Same delimma for me, but different outcome. I ended up with Interlagos and I'm really liking it. I've had several silver cars and never a blue one, plus the IB is an M only color so I thought it was fitting.

conor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VMZ432 said:
But is it such a bad thing to have one of the next run? For September or whenever? Impatience aside, there's a chance it might be an 07 build in that case. I'd have it right now if I could of course. ;)
I guess because I've been waiting for just over 3 months now (since ordering) then I'm beginning to get impatient. I was promised an August/September delivery and I'd be really happy with that. Plus, I've got a car to sell before the Z4M Coupe arrives...and I want to try and time this right...

VMZ432 said:
What have you seen out your way? Closest I've seen is a new Silver-Grey M roadster (aluminum and black) on display in the main Melbourne dealership. They wouldn't even let me drive it they are so rare here at the moment. The colour looked the ducks nutz on it!
I've seen a Z4M Roadster (imola/black/carbon) at the dealer when it first arrived - couldn't drive it though because it was sold. Gotta love that fat steering wheel!

·
Forever Fast
225 Posts
Yeah, I see what you mean. I have only been waiting 5 weeks and I'm tweakin out!

So does this mean you will be relying solely on the 2 seater, or is there another car in the family?

Umm... hijacking you're thread here. One last thing. Have you a quote for insurance? Mine is $2,800 AUD through BMW, and $1,645 through Just Cars (can't choose repairer and has pretty huge excesses).

Hoops.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VMZ432 said:
So does this mean you will be relying solely on the 2 seater, or is there another car in the family?
No, the Z4M won't be my only car...currently have 3 but will be selling one before the Z4M arrives. The wife (and kids) think I'm insane when it comes to cars (she just wants something that gets her from A-B without breaking down) - but then I've noticed that some people on here own 4+ cars - phew, thanks guys, at least I'm not the only one! ;)

Actually, funny you should bring this subject up...this afternoon I just placed a wanted ad for a 325i E30. :angel:

VMZ432 said:
Umm... hijacking you're thread here. One last thing. Have you a quote for insurance? Mine is $2,800 AUD through BMW, and $1,645 through Just Cars (can't choose repairer and has pretty huge excesses).
Wow, that's a lot. Just did a quick quote on the Suncorp site (for M Roadster) - comes out at $880 for me. I'm 35 with rating 1. I've generally found that Suncorp are the most competitive (along with AAMI). You might want to also speak to a broker - sometimes they can get you a better deal.

·
Forever Fast
225 Posts
Haha. And I feel sooo much better about keeping the Rex and a bike, with another bike to come soon (if I survive the test ride). My gf thinks I'm crazy, but I compare it to her interest in horses. There's no way she could ever only have one horse, even though she earns fairly low and has children. When you are serious about something multiples are bound to happen. Your income decides the quality; your addiction/insanity decides the quantity. She seems to understand that POV.

Did I read that right tho....? A wanted ad..... for a 325..... while you are waiting on an M Coupe? Dude, not even horses are going to save you. :)

Thanks on the insurance tip. I'll check it out. I'd prefer BMW but not if the cost too ridiculous. But then, its relative I guess. At 25 I paid $2,400 PY on a $36,000 car! Only now at 30 are things becoming reasonable for me. In that light, BMW doesn't seem like a bad deal for a 130k car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VMZ432 said:
Did I read that right tho....? A wanted ad..... for a 325..... while you are waiting on an M Coupe? Dude, not even horses are going to save you. :)
Yes, an E30 325i (i.e. an old one...1988 etc). Shouldn't cost too much and should be fun to drive. Obviously it will be used a lot less than the M Coupe. When I first started driving it was 'the' car to have so I guess it's a bit of a nostalgia trip...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts