BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the cold weather and absence of remote start, I am turning on the car in the morning, and locking it from the outside to leave it running for a few minutes to warm up.

Is there a way to do this without the horn beeping twice on locking the car?

This didn’t happen in the F10, but I am guessing it’s to do with the rear pedestrian detection or something like that.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,747 Posts
With the cold weather and absence of remote start, I am turning on the car in the morning, and locking it from the outside to leave it running for a few minutes to warm up.

This didn’t happen in the F10, but I am guessing it’s to do with the rear pedestrian detection or something like that.

Any ideas?
Apparently, people were accidentally locking and walking away from their running vehicles, hence the new warning. Not sure if it can be defeated. I've intentionally locked mine running a couple of times, the horn seems even louder than normal for this alert.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Don't try to defeat it. It is very easy to park this car and leave it running. Don't ask me how it happens, it just does. I've done it twice and I've never ever done that with any other car I've ever owned or driven. Ever. Same problem with my wife's Legacy. It works the same way and she's done it with her car too. I know what you're thinking but you won't after it happens to you...

·
Super Moderator
7,064 Posts

Any ideas?

You can disable this feature by coding BDC_Body.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently, people were accidentally locking and walking away from their running vehicles, hence the new warning. Not sure if it can be defeated. I've intentionally locked mine running a couple of times, the horn seems even louder than normal for this alert.

Thanks! Yes definitely seems louder at 7am

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't try to defeat it. It is very easy to park this car and leave it running. Don't ask me how it happens, it just does. I've done it twice and I've never ever done that with any other car I've ever owned or driven. Ever. Same problem with my wife's Legacy. It works the same way and she's done it with her car too. I know what you're thinking but you won't after it happens to you...

Agree, I’ve seen two cars left running all day at my park and ride. Must be easy when Auto start stop is on. Would be nice if there was something that disabled it for the one time though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Actually there have been a number of stories about people failing to notice the car with a start/stop type button was running when they left it in the garage (not sure if they were BMWs though), including people who have died of carbon monoxide poisoning as a result. I haven't done it yet but I can see it being possible on the G30. Getting out you might quickly hit the smaller button below the start/stop button without realizing it and not actually turn the car off. Or just forget to hit the button at all. If you don't lock the car i don't think you get a beep.

A little different: I have noticed an odd thing about hitting the start/stop button to shut the car off. Sometimes when I do so the engine first goes off, then when I open the door everything else goes off. Sometimes--and this seems quite random to me--the engine goes off but when I open the door the radio keeps playing rather than shutting off. It does go off when I lock the car though. Can't figure out what might be different in those cases. --Bob

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Bob - It's happened to me as well. Shut the car off and the radio is still blaring. If I have time, I'll go to My Car in iDive and select Turn the car off. The other way is to look and see if the radio is on once you are out of the car. If it is, just open the door slightly, that will shut the car off and then close the door again.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,747 Posts
Bob - It's happened to me as well. Shut the car off and the radio is still blaring. If I have time, I'll go to My Car in iDive and select Turn the car off. The other way is to look and see if the radio is on once you are out of the car. If it is, just open the door slightly, that will shut the car off and then close the door again.
You have to pause just a second or so before opening the door. It will always shut off the electronics if you just pause a moment.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,640 Posts
This is the quietest idling car I've ever owned. In 35,000 miles I've gotten out of the car while it was running 4-5 times. I find the horn very helpful. Small price to pay to avoid filling the garage with CO, or getting off the evening Commuter Rail to find a car with an empty gas tank.

I agree the logic on turning off the electronics is wonky. The foolproof way to shut them off is to press and hold the volume button on the radio for a couple seconds. It's almost like the two-push logic on the previous generations, using two different buttons.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
This is the quietest idling car I've ever owned. In 35,000 miles I've gotten out of the car while it was running 4-5 times. I find the horn very helpful. Small price to pay to avoid filling the garage with CO, or getting off the evening Commuter Rail to find a car with an empty gas tank.

I agree the logic on turning off the electronics is wonky. The foolproof way to shut them off is to press and hold the volume button on the radio for a couple seconds. It's almost like the two-push logic on the previous generations, using two different buttons.
I tried it today, pressing the radio button and it worked. I thought, geez It's easy...
About four hours later my wife went to get something out of the freezer for tomorrow and found the headlights we still on. This time I pressed to radio button again and it all went off!!! Never know about computers...I'll be checking it again before going to bed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts