BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked and watched the videos but it's not happening for me.

I can get the speedometer and tachometer to move on their own but that's all I can accomplish.

I try to go to test 19 and it just says "lock:eek:n". Then I press the trip reset button the amount of times the 4 last digits of the vin add up to and nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong? Can the menus not be accessed?

It's a 1997 540I. It's an American export model if that somehow makes a difference.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
I think you have to add the last 5 or 6 digits, but that's just on the High-OBC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the post I read that's what I have in this car. The two buttons on the instrument cluster.

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
12,387 Posts
To unlock the HIGH cluster...requires the SUM of the LAST 5 DIGITS of your VIN. If you used the sum of the last 4 digits...that's why your attempts have failed...you need to add up the last 5 digits of your VIN.

Once you enter the sum of the last 5 digits (using the left cluster button)...you MUST then set or "confirm" by pressing the RIGHT cluster button. This will UNLOCK the high cluster...and it will remain unlocked until power is lost (battery disconnected). The next time you want to check or perform one of the 21 TESTs...just hold the RIGHT cluster button until "TEST" appears in the display...then press the right button until the TEST nbr you want appears, then press the LEFT button to see that info. :thumbup:

BTW, the last 7 digits of the VIN contain 2 alpha characters, then 5 numerical characters...so again, it's the last 5 digits of the VIN which are all numerical digits. :)

{instructions on how to UNLOCK the HIGH cluster + brief description of the 21 TESTs}

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To unlock the HIGH cluster...requires the SUM of the LAST 5 DIGITS of your VIN. If you used the sum of the last 4 digits...that's why your attempts have failed...you need to add up the last 5 digits of your VIN.

Once you enter the sum of the last 5 digits (using the left cluster button)...you MUST then set or "confirm" by pressing the RIGHT cluster button. This will UNLOCK the high cluster...and it will remain unlocked until power is lost (battery disconnected). The next time you want to check or perform one of the 21 TESTs...just hold the RIGHT cluster button until "TEST" appears in the display...then press the right button until the TEST nbr you want appears, then press the LEFT button to see that info.

BTW, the last 7 digits of the VIN contain 2 alpha characters, then 5 numerical characters...so again, it's the last 5 digits of the VIN which are all numerical digits. :)

{instructions on how to UNLOCK the HIGH cluster + brief description of the 21 TESTs}

I followed the procedure layed out in the first picture. Didn't work. That's why I asked the question again.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Did you watch the video posted above? Within the first two minutes he shows you how to unlock the cluster using test 19, then pushing the left button to select the lock code, which is the last 5 of your vin summed up, which can be more than 21. The number in the video was 23, which is more than 21.

Watch the video. Do what he does on the video.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you watch the video posted above? Within the first two minutes he shows you how to unlock the cluster using test 19, then pushing the left button to select the lock code, which is the last 5 of your vin summed up, which can be more than 21. The number in the video was 23, which is more than 21.

Watch the video. Do what he does on the video.
I'll watch it this afternoon and try it. Will report back.

·
Registered
12,387 Posts
I followed the procedure layed out in the first picture. Didn't work. That's why I asked the question again.

How can that be when you told us you added up the last FOUR digits of your VIN. The instructions are to add up the last FIVE digits of your VIN. :confused:

Since you told us the sum you added up was 20...post the last 5 digits of your VIN...perhaps your math is incorrect. :D

1baker11 said:
I try to go to test 19 and it just says "lock:eek:n". Then I press the trip reset button the amount of times the 4 last digits of the vin add up to and nothing happens.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How can that be when you told us you added up the last FOUR digits of your VIN. The instructions are to add up the last FIVE digits of your VIN. :confused:

Since you told us the sum you added up was 20...post the last 5 digits of your VIN...perhaps your math is incorrect. :D
I meant 5 but I typed 4. Typo. It's 5.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay. So I got it to work.

I realize what I was doing wrong.

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts