BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How wide of a tire can you go on a 01 540 sport?

1414 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  c1540
I have a 2001 540 sport,
right now i have 255/40/17 on the rears.
Can i go any wider? are there other sizes that will work?

Thanks
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
265 is the largest I remember seeing on E39 without rolling fenders. I saw few of them, not only one, so I guess it is quite ok.
I have 275/35/18 on the rear on my E39 without any problems of rubbing on fender or anything. It givs me A LOT of traction too. So yea, hope that helps you somehow.
I have 265s on mine and heard you had to modify or switch to M5 inner fenders if you went 275, but apparently not.
DeCePtiCzXe39 said:
I have 275/35/18 on the rear on my E39 without any problems of rubbing on fender or anything. It givs me A LOT of traction too. So yea, hope that helps you somehow.
I had heard the same thing. But supposedly the rubbing only occurs if you have passengers or hit a big bump. I would be interested in hearing feedback from the gentleman with the 275s or anyone else running them. I have a set of 18" rims and am trying to decide whether to go with 265s or 275s.
TXE39 said:
I have 265s on mine and heard you had to modify or switch to M5 inner fenders if you went 275, but apparently not.
If I have adult passengers in the back and hit a bump I rub even with the 265s. This typically doesn't happen since I usually drive the Range Rover if I'm going to have more than one adult passenger in the back and do my absolute best to aviod the kind of bumps in question.
liuk3 said:
I had heard the same thing. But supposedly the rubbing only occurs if you have passengers or hit a big bump. I would be interested in hearing feedback from the gentleman with the 275s or anyone else running them. I have a set of 18" rims and am trying to decide whether to go with 265s or 275s.
I have 245's and I sometimes rub with full tank of fuel and/or adults in the back seat. There is more to it than just tire width, wheel size and offset are also part of the equation.

FWIW, I have my fenders rolled with standard E39 fender liners. I specify max neg rear camber when alignments are done and this helps aleviate rubbing under all but the most extreme driving conditions (fast bumpy corners)

ymmv
I have an 01 540 sport with M package. I have 275/30/19's on 9.5" wheels on the rear without any mods to the liners. No rubbing.
I started out with 275's in the rear and 245 up front. No problems with the front. The rear rubbed so badly they left marks on the tires. Then I changed the liner and rolled the fenders. After that it would only rub if I went over a bump or had people in the back. I hated the rubbing sound and thought it was poor taste to have a luxury car with tires that rub the fender. I decided to change the to 265's and it hasn't rubbed since. I had to do my cousin a favor and take some of her friends somewhere last week. I had four girls in the back and no rubbing not even over bumps. :thumbup:
TXE39 said:
If I have adult passengers in the back and hit a bump I rub even with the 265s. This typically doesn't happen since I usually drive the Range Rover if I'm going to have more than one adult passenger in the back and do my absolute best to aviod the kind of bumps in question.
I do not know the answer to your question, but you must consider the wheel offset too. It is not just a tire size and wheel size issue.

Good luck . . .
Four girls, no rubbing no bumping? Man, what were you thinking??? :thumbdwn:

:p
dagoo98 said:
... I had four girls in the back and no rubbing not even over bumps. :thumbup:
I run 265/35/18 on the rear 18x9.5
I run 245/40/18 up front 18x8
Style 37's
275/35's in back with no fender or liner modifications. 245/40's on the front.

Fikse Profil 13's - 8.5F/9.5R
Guys, back on topic here....I believe he's asking what is the widest tire that will fit on the stock 17x9 rear wheel.
Is this stock without fenderliners or rolled fenders? Any rubbin'?
GuapOh said:
I run 265/35/18 on the rear 18x9.5
I run 245/40/18 up front 18x8
Style 37's
I run 265/35/18 front and rear with no rubbing or issues.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.