Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesnt Vince have IKEA stuff??

I just got a new catalog of IKEA furniture. Theres a HUGE volume of stuff there. Its Scandinavian im presuming. They look very nice and they are VERY inexpensive. Im thinking about ordering a bunch of stuff from them, but whats the quality like?? I hope its not cheap junk.

·
Registered
954 Posts
It depends on what you are ordering. Some stuff is better then others, but I would say it is middle of the road in terms of quality. I have some of their stuff and like it a lot.

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
Look closely before buying.

Style is kind of scandinavian, but nearly everything is made in China. Get the real thing, instead, even if you have to pay much more. It will LAST.:thumbup:

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
///Mathew said:
Im thinking about ordering a bunch of stuff from them, but whats the quality like?? I hope its not cheap junk.
I strongly suggest you visit an IKEA store if there's one near you. That way you can get a feel for the quality of the item(s) you are looking for. Some are a lot better than others. If you can pick up in the store, I'd suggest doing that. Their mail order is a bit, well, screwed up.

This isn't high-end stuff, quality-wise, but a lot of it is nicely designed. You'll find particle board construction with either wood veneer (if you're lucky), painted, or plastic finishes.

The company is Scandinavian, but the products are sourced from a variety of places, mostly where labor is really cheap. They do make a big point of only using sustainable woods.

I have a bunch of their stuff, and I'm pretty happy with it. I have a complete bedroom set (Buvik, discontinued) which is really nice - it just needs the occasional tightening after visits from my GF:bigpimp:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Re: Re: Hows the quality of IKEA furniture

Terry Kennedy said:
it just needs the occasional tightening after visits from my GF:bigpimp:
there's no such thing with IKEA furniture.

If you need to tighten it for the second time, it's time to throw it away.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Hows the quality of IKEA furniture

Alex Baumann said:
there's no such thing with IKEA furniture. If you need to tighten it for the second time, it's time to throw it away.
I realize that most IKEA stuff uses the quarter-turn cam-lock gizmos, but this is an older frame with honest-to-goodness Allen head bolts into real nuts.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hows the quality of IKEA furniture

Terry Kennedy said:
I realize that most IKEA stuff uses the quarter-turn cam-lock gizmos, but this is an older frame with honest-to-goodness Allen head bolts into real nuts.
the only stuff I have from them is office furniture, and they are good.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hows the quality of IKEA furniture

jpgurl (jana) said:
anyone know where I can get extras of these?
They're various sizes, depending on who made them. If there is an IKEA near you, take one there - the "we can assemble it for you" group has loads of extras. Otherwise, if you have a discount furniture place near you, try there (we have zillions of them in NYC).

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hows the quality of IKEA furniture

jpgurl (jana) said:

speaking of which... anyone know where I can get extras of these? I have some Ikea bedroom furniture and 50% of them have fallen out of the drawers.
I hate it when my nuts fall out of my drawers! :yikes: :lmao:

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
You might try Plummers as an inexpensive alternative to Ikea (<a href="http://www.plummers.com">no website yet</a> unfortunately, but they do offer a mail order catalog). Their stuff is slightly more expensive than stuff you will find at Ikea, but it seems to have a significantly higher build quality and some of the designs are a bit more interesting IMHO. Plummers furniture might be 'disposable' in the long run just the same, but at least you can't see the screws that hold it together like the stuff you get from Ikea.

Though I'm sure many will probably disagree, it's my opinion that the best way to buy furniture in the long term is to buy antiques (assuming you like the style). It's just about the only furniture that appreciates, and most of it is built FAR better than anything you could buy even at the more expensive furniture stores these days. My bedroom furniture is a 'modern design' built in the 1930's. It isn't ornate by any means and it actually looks pretty modern by today's standards. The way it's made is pretty amazing - it's done entirely in SOLID cherry, including the side rails on my bed and even the insides of the drawers on the nightstands and dressers. Try buying something made like that today.... even a $2000 bed is typically a veneer over a less expensive hardwood (if you're lucky) in exposed areas, while the side rails and such are all cheap wood or steel. To get anything new like my setup today, it would have to be custom made and the cost would be astronomical. Antiques can be had for decent prices if you look around enough (estate sales can be good) and do your homework.

Just thought I'd throw that in. My store/studio is done almost entirely with Ikea furnishings... when it comes time to replace it (soon) I'll definately be shopping someplace else.

--SONET

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I must say, in a way im not very surprised with you guy's feedback. The very low prices most definetly negate any high-quality status it could have.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Ah ha! :D

Yes, as a matter, I do. Some LACK collection here and there. HACK has been to my place, not sure if he noticed the furnishing. I colour match everything in the living room with silver/blue(of course) and black. TV has silver trims too. Lamps are all in silver. Walls are white, hence the BILLY bookshelves are white so as to blend into the wall. Not to forget some of my utensils, cutlery (with blue handles), some kitchenware, bath accessories are all from IKEA too. And my cabinet to display all my miniatures. I love those plastic 60s looking cubes in blue too. Great for putting a TV or an indoor plant. Comes with silver support. Next in plan is a matching dining table. :D

I strongly suggest visiting the AS-IS department. Lin and I wanted to buy new couch with blue cover and silver legs that time. New was $399. Found a similar in AS-IS for $179.00. The only damage is a cut on the underside, which we both can live with. No one is going to peek under there anyway.

I furnished my little apartment for under $900.00 from IKEA.

IKEA products are not meant to last a life time. But we live for the modern present. Besides who else can provide such products are affordable pricing ALL under one roof?

///Mathew said:
Doesnt Vince have IKEA stuff??

I just got a new catalog of IKEA furniture. Theres a HUGE volume of stuff there. Its Scandinavian im presuming. They look very nice and they are VERY inexpensive. Im thinking about ordering a bunch of stuff from them, but whats the quality like?? I hope its not cheap junk.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's like a Toyota kit car. It's all DIY, but it will last forever and is a less expensive (read: not cheaper) alternative to the BMW-type furniture available. If you watch Fight Club (but don't talk about it), you'll see an extreme perspective...

I have 4 pieces from them, most of which are disposable, but utilitarian and stylish.

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
I've got about a dozen of the Billie bookshelf units, 5 of them floor-to-ceiling units, the rest half height units. Several of them a quite old and were shipped to Maryland and back a few years ago with no problems. The rest have been purchased more recently but all are more than 4 years old. Except for a couple of the shelves that are drooping a bit (but they are packed tight with some very heavy books), all are still in excellent condition and have survived years of usage.

On the other hand, all of the floor lamps have self-destructed within a year of purchase.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
IKEA is definitely hit or miss. Here the higher alernatives are Dania or ScanDesign. IKEA is still better than what you get at Target, Fred Meyer and the like. My friend bought a metal bed frame from IKEA and it's rock solid even after thorough testing.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts