BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum. Currently leasing a 325xi for $500/mo with lease ending this Aug. I'm starting to look at my options now that we've gained a toddler since I last leased, i.e. we need something bigger! I'm not a "large" car driver, so the x3 seems like a decent fit. Just talked with my dealer and this is what he can get for me:

'08 x3 3.0 automatic
cold and premium packages
choice of colors
36 months/12k year

$577/month including 5% MA tax
$1400 down for first, acquisition and registration fees

How does this sound? Any room for wiggle based on other prices seen on the boards? Since I'm re-leasing, are there any fees that I can get out of? Originally, when I first inquired a couple weeks back, this salesman had said they could cover my last month or two of payments on my current lease (which would be my June and July payments). So, I'm not sure if we can negotiate something based on that.

Also, I have read all of the leasing info. in the other forum, but I couldn't find the invoice pricing and it just seemed like a lot of numbers to crunch. I'm not the best negotiator - I just want to guage whether I'm getting a fair price.

Thanks so much!

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,693 Posts
we need more information... what is the residual and cap cost? what is he basing his numbers on? Full MSRP or Invoice+ ? what is the interest rate/money factor?

the invoice price (approx) is $40,010 including $300 for MACO and $180 for training.

430- metalic
910- cold
2455- premium
775 delivery
40,010, plus 750 over invoice: $40,760.

there may even be trunk money right now, i don't know though. anyone else?
577 seems kind of high to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
we need more information... what is the residual and cap cost? what is he basing his numbers on? Full MSRP or Invoice+ ?
I'm sorry, I really don't have more info. at this point. I'm debating whether it's worth it to go in and talk right now (not easy looking for cars and having to think with a little one running around the showroom :eek:).

Based on the BMW website for this configuration, the MSRP was about $42,500. Using their lease calculator, putting $1400 down would put me at about $620/month, but I'm sure that's max. price.

Does the residual even matter? I have no interest in purchasing it, and according to the lease sticky, residual doesn't really matter much when negotiating - is that misinformation?

ETA - I was posting while kjboyd was updating - thanks for the info. I know the price he gave is a starting point, so I just want to go in prepared.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Make sure you inquire about the Owner's Loyalty Program. It doesn't alway benefit you but it could help a bit with the Money Factor. You will have the security deposit waived as well for being a returning customer. I just ordered an 08' X3 myself with an MSRP of $42,100 (Sport Act. Package, Xenon, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel, Metalic Paint) and with $2,000 cap reduction and 12k/36mo my lease payments are $469/mo. It sounds to me like there is plenty of wiggle room here. My initial price quotes were in the range that you mention but weeks of going back and forth with BMW and Audi and pitting some cross town dealerships against each other finally got me the price I wanted. Also, there happened to be an OLP program available at that time for the X3 (which there may not be now) and that helped the lease rate. Took about $25-$35/mo off the payment.

·
2,693 Posts
hmmm.. .i'm not sure why the sticky would say that... the residual helps determine how much of the car's value you are using.

April residual for a 36/m lease was 64% and .00250 for the money factor.

acq. is $625 but is usually marked up to $825.

ask for his numbers and then post them here. only then will you know if you are getting a good deal or not. don't ever just look at the bottom line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob V - did you put any money down? I still have time and have definitely let them know that I'll go elsewhere if pricing isn't right, so that's my first stepping stone.

Money Factor/Buy Rate - does anyone know where to find this for this lease info?

KJBoyd - thanks, we're going tonight so I'll see if I can get his numbers up front. Do you just ask for the residual, money factor and invoice price? Sorry - last time I went in to lease, I was just concerned with monthly payment since I was trying to trade in a not-so-great toyota.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes, I did put some down. That was the $2,000 Cap Reduction I noted earlier. Without that my payments would have been aprox $509/mo. kjboyd, listed the other info you asked for: April residual for a 36/m lease was 64% and .00250 for the money factor. I haven't seen the May rates though.

·
2,693 Posts
just ask them for a print out of the entire financials. I included April's MF in my post above as well as the residual. I doubt they've changed much.

then post them here and you can sign tomorrow. you don't have to buy tonight. good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you both very much for your replies! I'll post the info. from the dealer once I have it.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Hi all,

NSince I'm re-leasing, are there any fees that I can get out of? Originally, when I first inquired a couple weeks back, this salesman had said they could cover my last month or two of payments on my current lease (which would be my June and July payments)
BMW FS will waive the $350 lease disposition fee on your old lease.
BMW FS will waive the security deposit on your new lease.

BMW FS might have an Owner Loyalty Program in place. OLP is a significant break in the interest rate. Best to go to the Ask a Dealer forum for that one. You local dealer may not know about it.

Don't take them up on the offer to cover your payments. They will take those 2 payments and add it on to the lease for the new car. You end up paying for those 2 months plus interest but you don't get anything for it. Much better to wait out the lease. If you feel like giving away $1000, I'll be happy to take it.

There is a small price increase coming June 1. There is a loophole to get around it. Order an X3 by May 9th with exactly the color and options you want. Set up the order so you take delivery when your old car comes off lease.

A reasonable deal is invoice + $1000. Don't forget to add the training fee and MACO to the invoice price. .0002 Markup on the MF and $100 markup on the LAF. Figure the payments yourself. Don't negotiate on payments alone and don't let the dealer tell you what the payments will be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andrew*Debbie - Thank you for the info. I will definitely use the security deposit and disposition fee during my negotiations, if there are any.

I test drove the x3 last night. It seems like a nice little SUV, and while it is a bit updated on the inside since '05 when I last looked at them, it does seem a lot like my '05 325xi. It feels like I'm not even getting a new car, honestly, which is a bit depressing. It will give me a little more room in the back for the stroller, but really it's only head room since the stoller will take up most of the space on the floor. The moonroof was pretty cool, though!

It really all comes down to the deal that they offer. I didn't get a printout or any specifics just yet, since my little one was ready for bed = cranky, so I just told him to work on the numbers and try and get my payment down to someplace in the 4xx range with no money down and then I'd consider it. I know that's close to impossible, and I know he'll come back higher. If he can get me to the $469 with $2000 down, I'll seriously consider it.

For now, it's back to looking for alternatives. I looked at the Lexus RX330 last night as well. It was okay. Nothing too exciting.

·
2,693 Posts
CC: the X3 is based on the 1999-2005 3 series... so everything about it is almost identical to your 05. one word of advice: even IF he comes back to match your numbers, seriously look at the other things we have all mentioned: money factor, residual etc... and think about multiple security deposits instead of a down payment...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CC: the X3 is based on the 1999-2005 3 series... so everything about it is almost identical to your 05. one word of advice: even IF he comes back to match your numbers, seriously look at the other things we have all mentioned: money factor, residual etc... and think about multiple security deposits instead of a down payment...
Oh, I'll absolutely look at those things if he comes back with a lower deal, especially now that I'm slightly better-educated on the topic. I just want to see if he'll actually come back and try and work a deal. Otherwise, it's not even worth my time.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
May lease rates are out. They are kinda sucky.

2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4WD SUV
24 Month ***8211; Residual 72% of MSRP ***8211; .00250 Base Rate
36 Month ***8211; Residual 62% of MSRP ***8211; .00250 Base Rate

BUT

OLP is now a .00090 MF reduction.

That is HUGE more than a 2% APR reduction.

If you pay invoice + $1500 including all dealer fees.

Zero option X3 12,000 mile/year 24Month lease Using today's prices. Cars invoiced or ordered after COB today will have a small price increase

No cap reduction,2 additional security deposit and use the LAF waiver. Dealer takes full .0004 MF markup.

I chose 2 additional security deposits because that gets close to your $2000 drive off number. Remember this is drive off. Down payment is the wrong term. You have $0.00 down payment. The security deposits only lower the payment by a few dollars, but you get them back at the end of the lease.

Ballpark is

USA Pickup - Drive Off $2143. Payment $479.66+TAX

ED - Munich Pickup Drive Off $1843 Payment $391.28+TAX

Added Premium/Cold/Metallic paint take the payments to $437+TAX for ED and $527+TAX for US pickup.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Andrew*Debbie, would you happen to know if the MF rates can be applied after the fact like lease rates can (while you await delivery of your car)? My rates are all locked in but was always told that is the lease rates dropped I can take advantage of that. Can that also apply to the MF?

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Andrew*Debbie, would you happen to know if the MF rates can be applied after the fact like lease rates can (while you await delivery of your car)? My rates are all locked in but was always told that is the lease rates dropped I can take advantage of that. Can that also apply to the MF?
That is what I've been told. You would have to take the entire new rate -- Residual, MF and OLP discount.

The new rates aren't very good but the bigger OLP is. Not sure what would work out better for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts