BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WilliamsKR said:
Jon,
Once again great event. I don't know if you were kidding, but I think it would be a great idea. People could visit two sites
Thanks! Glad that you enjoyed it...

:thumbup:

My question is totally serious: what do you think about expanding the capacity
as proposed?

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
Much depends on how the event would be split -- what would be at the dealership, what would be at the fairgrounds.

So, stabbing in the dark such as it is, I'm initially agin it. IIRC the two locales are not really walking distance in a fat-american lazy sense, so there is just too much liklihood that people would be rallying back and forth between the two spots, and we'd have 645s doing donuts all up and down State for 5 hours :D

As much as I appreciate and value the event at the dealer (probably wouldn't have had the thrill of that Carerra GT to drool over at EWFG), I fear the event just simply has outgrown the space and logistics of the dealership.

The experience at EW could be improved a lot over 2004 by learning from that first experience and leveraging it in terms of the layout (vendor locations, music, etc.)

No matter where it is and how it's done, though, I'll be there!

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Sounds good, Jon, but it all hinges on how you plan to split things up! I fear if you don't do it uniformly, someone will feel left out or cries of segregation will be shouted out.

How are you going to be in two places at once??? ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the dealership is a great place, but parking is obviously a huge issue. Not to mention the problem of who gets to park on the lot and who doesn't. EWSG is obviously big enough, but it also costs $$$ and the 2 locations are a little bit too far apart IMHO to co-locate the event. There has got to be another venue here that would be conducive to the event and not be as pricey as EWSG. I don't know how many of you stuck around 'til Sunday, but there was a huge car show ON State St. They close the street from Gutierrez all the way up to the Arlington. I don't know if that is feasible for Bimmerfest or not.

What about SB City College. They have 2 large parking lots below the stadium that would probably hold most of the cars. It wouldn't be free, but it is right on the beach.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jon said:
Next year we utilize the dealership and the fairgrounds?

Just an idea I've been kicking around....
I THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA. THEN YOU DON'T HAVE PEOPLE ARGUING ABOUT CARS BEING ON THE LOT STOCK, PARKING SITUATION, OR HOW CLUTTERED STREETS ARE.

DIVIDE THE CARS BY E38,E39,E46,E60,E61,E66,E65,X3,X5,Z4,Z8,E90 AT THE FAIR GROUND BECAUSE OF THE ROOM.

ALL E36,Z3 AND OLDER AT THE DEALERSHIP.
I KNOW THEY ARN'T GONNA BE CLOSE TOGETHER BUT IT IS THE BEST IDEA YET.
THERE ARE ALWAYS GONNA BE PROBLEMS

·
Victory is mine!
210 Posts
I would say just holding it at the fairgrounds should be enough. Last year the parking lot was only about 70% full with a lot more space available.

I think it's a bad idea to split up the group, since the whole point is to have everyone together without any segregation. It would be bad to have the older cars on one side and newer models on another. It furthers the division.

I think the problems could be solved if the city of Santa Barbara allow us more leeway on street parking. The roads around the dealership were quite spacious, but just barred by no parking signs. If Santa Barbara is willing to give us a 7 hour window and do what the Z3 homecoming did, I think it would simply be beautiful and very streamlined.

What do you guys think.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What would be good would be to set up an area at the fairgrounds where those so inclined could perform their tire eating moves in a K-rail protected area.

They could slide, spin and drift to their hearts content and get it out before the road rally.

What do ya'all think?

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Blacksheep said:
What would be good would be to set up an area at the fairgrounds where those so inclined could perform their tire eating moves in a K-rail protected area.

They could slide, spin and drift to their hearts content and get it out before the road rally.

What do ya'all think?
I wouldn't want to encourage that activity no matter what the location.

Hey Jon, how about making an arrangement with Le Cumbre Mall to use a dedicated section of the back parking lot? It's walking distance (I think you can actually see the dealership from it) and it should be large enough for the overflow.

The mall is already getting some extra business from the 'fest and may not mind. I saw some 'festers at Baja Fresh and Panda Express (and people are already parking there anyway). You could have some of the vendors up there, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They do Farmer's Market up there every week, so they might just be open to that. The girlfriends/wives that aren't into the car thing can spend the day at the mall. I bet you could even get a deal setup with SB Trolley to shutle people back and forth. Still, if we have 700-800 cars, they still might not all fit.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
SB_328SP said:
They do Farmer's Market up there every week, so they might just be open to that. The girlfriends/wives that aren't into the car thing can spend the day at the mall. I bet you could even get a deal setup with SB Trolley to shutle people back and forth. Still, if we have 700-800 cars, they still might not all fit.
Wow, didn't know that (about the farmer's market). Interesting.

I'd have to look at that back section again, but if it was the overflow from the dealership and not the total, I think it could work - may have to take the whole back section, but what the hey.

Then if all the people with Dakar Yellow (for example) wanted to park together, they could. Or the e39 crowd or Seattle 7s or what have you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They also have the lower lot between the mall and State St. I would bet that SB Trolley would not be too expensive to have shuttling people for 5-6 hours. My church has them shuttle people from overflow lots from 8-1 every Sunday, I can try to find out what they pay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good Ideas!!!!!!!!!

Jon,
I think there are some good ideas out there, but it's obvious we need to do some type of paradigm shift with respect to doing it solely at the dealership. Bottomline, is I'll suport whatever you come up with because I can only imagine the logistical nightmare it creates.

Kevin

·
Registered
17 Posts
honestly i liked last year fest at the fairgrounds... everything was there and we could all see eachothers car... the walk was way to long for some of us, parking was even more confusing

once we were out of the dealership, we never came back because it was to much of a walk back

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I like the idea of parking like model cars together on the lot. I think if there was a way to register your car as one that is "on display" it could maybe control the dealership lot parking deal a little better. Like sending a sticker or something to those pre-registered to allow them access, as well as an assigned spot to park.

I found a spot on the street just up from the Chevy dealer, so I didn't have any issue with parking. In fact I think I parked in the same area in '03 and '02 when I was there. Good parking karma I guess.

The side streets are kinda wide and getting some cones setup or something to allow attendees to park perpendicular to the curb rather than parallel would probably double the capacity and still allow cars to move thru. But, there are other businesses in the area as well as freeway access, so that could be a bit of an issue to work out.

Ideally, SB Auto Group should just buy up the surrounding dealerships, level them, and turn the whole area into a Bimmerfest event center. :bigpimp:

And I also vote NFW on the "drift, burn-out, slide" area. Even at the track that type of behavior is not allowed. Personally I can't think of a single valid reason to do a burn out. Anyone?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.