BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your guys opinions here. I will be going with my wife who has never been to Europe and we will only have 6 days so I want to maximize driving fun but keep the total miles and driving time to a minimum.

So here is what I'm thinking. Redeye flight from LA 11-1-06 and Arrive in Munich evening Thusday Nov 2nd. Pick up car early Friday the 3rd then I have to decide whether to stay one more night in Munich or head straight out but I think we will do the latter, heading straight to Zurich. Then spend Fri and Sat night in Zurich then leave early Sun Morning from Zurich to Dijon and spend the day and one night in Dijon then drive straight to the dropoff in Paris so we don't have to hassel with having the car while in Paris. We will stay the last 2 nights in Paris then depart around Noon Wednesday Nov 8th.

Since it will be early Nov I assume the weather will be cold but we shouldn't hit any snow. I have never been to Munich, Zurich or Dijon so really don't know much about them so would appreciate opinions, particularly on the scenic value of the drive I have planned as well as how much folks like/dislike Zurich and Dijon.

What I like about this plan is it limits driving days to 3 and only about 200 miles each day so no "wasted" days spent the entire day in the car (not that there is anything wrong with that:D ).

Any input would be appreciated:)

Thanks, Kevin

·
I roll thusly
58 Posts
I think you're making a wise choice in limiting the driving. I realize the objective is to get the car and drive it on the roads it was engineered for, but the biggest mistake we made on our first ED was spending too much time on the road and covering too much ground on our travel days. It's also a good idea to drop the car off the first day in your final city like you're doing, primarily because you don't have to fuss with it and pay for parking, but it also gets a head-start on you back to the US!

The itinerary looks great (although I've never been to Zurich. Bern, however I have been to and it is a beautiful city.)

Biggest piece of advice I would give: spring for the navigation system and get the Europe DVD.

(and don't forget to take the opportunity to make out with your wife under the Eiffel Tower)
;)

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
In Switzerland Zurich is a beautiful city, but Switzerland's draw and real beauty are not the cities but the Alps and countryside. If you want to see some of the breathtaking parts of Switzerland pass on Zurich and stay 2 days in the Bernese Oberland, with Interlaken or better yet Lauterbrunnen your home base. These are serviced by main highways and you can make your onward journey to France very easily. You'll get a far better understanding of the country and not the ultra chic Zurich faintly disguised by Old World charm.
PM me and I can provide details, hotels, sights, etc.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention what the car I am getting. I haven't actually ordered yet but will this week since the E90 335i pricing is now available. 335i Sedan Alpine white on black interior, steptronic auto, premium, nav, power rear shade, PDC.

I was actually thinking Bern origionally but I see that it would add distance to the trip but if I get a lot of Bern>>Zurich we might change.

Great advice on the Eiffel Tower make out session also:thumbup:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Munich to paris trip sounds great, it was my wife's first trip to Europe and we also went Munich to Paris with different stops than yours but definately you both will have a great time. Take a look at my write up for more details

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
beauport said:
In Switzerland Zurich is a beautiful city, but Switzerland's draw and real beauty are not the cities but the Alps and countryside. If you want to see some of the breathtaking parts of Switzerland pass on Zurich and stay 2 days in the Bernese Oberland, with Interlaken or better yet Lauterbrunnen your home base. These are serviced by main highways and you can make your onward journey to France very easily. You'll get a far better understanding of the country and not the ultra chic Zurich faintly disguised by Old World charm.
PM me and I can provide details, hotels, sights, etc.
Beauport, I just saw your reply after my last post. I was thinking we were spending too much time in big cities. I will take your advice on passing on Zurich then, and you will have PM shortly.

Thanks Bro, Kevin

·
Registered
208 Posts
radgator1 said:
Beauport, I just saw your reply after my last post. I was thinking we were spending too much time in big cities. I will take your advice on passing on Zurich then, and you will have PM shortly.

Thanks Bro, Kevin
I was getting ready to suggest something similar. Zurich is a neat city, but like the previous post, switzerland (and germany) in my opinion have a lot offer outside of the big cities. My wife and I actually just spent the day there, didn't feel like dropping $300-400 on a hotel room. The older parts were nice to stroll thru but I honestly would not spend 2 days. I thought you could still make a stop in zurich (1 night) and then maybe head north thru the black forest, stopping at the Rhein falls in schaffhausen, and then on perhaps to the rhein river valley (mainz-koblenz) and then head west to Paris. A little more driving involved, but lots of great scenery.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
radgator1 said:

Thanks Bro, Kevin
Here's just a inkling of what the Swiss Alps and countryside look like. What is also nice is that you can stay and eat in some lovely hotels in this area for 1/4 the price of Zurich.

·
ZHPper
2,128 Posts
Pass up Zurich it's way too expensive and not really that interesting...find some smaller towns to stay. We dropped off in Paris, but stayed the night before at the airport then took the Air France bus into town to our hotel. If you can schedule the trip home for a Sunday, there is NO traffic and makes for a very pleasant taxi ride to CDG. And stay a couple of nights in Munich...you'll kick yourself for not doing that afterwards, it's a wonderful town.

·
Registered
380 Posts
+1 on the Munich bit...it's great. But you have a happy dilemma: lots of great choices.
Trust the fact that you'll be back...

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
RadGator1, Best wishes on your upcoming ED trip! I highly recommend the dinner cruise that departs from right behind the Eiffel tower. It is a wonderful way to cap off your European journey. :thumbup:

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
The redeye out of LA is a good idea. You will have a ghost of a chance of getting some sleep since you are flying during your normal sleep hours. Beware of the jet-lag though. More Munich at the front end of your trip might do you well.

I'm afraid your trip is way too short to truly enjoy. Unless you sleep better and adjust a whole lot better than most of us from the west coast, you will not feel entirely yourself until day 4. By then you're just getting into the ED groove and it will be near time to head back to LA.

I hope you consider extending your trip and have a great adventure regardless!

·
ZHPper
2,128 Posts
mdsbuc said:
RadGator1, Best wishes on your upcoming ED trip! I highly recommend the dinner cruise that departs from right behind the Eiffel tower. It is a wonderful way to cap off your European journey. :thumbup:
Oh yes, either that or for sure take a ride on the Batobus down (Up?) the river to Notre Dame/Louvre.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.