BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the F30 forum where someone mentioned the HPFP issue and how they were concerned BMW is moving towards FI engines only. Which got me to thinking: I've never read about an HPFP issue with the X5. For those who have FI engines have you experienced or heard of any X5's experiencing the HPFP issue? I'm especially interested in hearing from 3.5 owners as I believe it's the same engine.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HPFP issues were in old 35i engines which never were installed in X5
The xDrive35i shares the N55 with the 335i car. The N55 did experience the HPFP issue but the numbers were smaller due to the fact BMW had been working on the issue with the N54 engine for some years prior to the release of the N55.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
fuel pump can fail in each engine, but in N54 it was an issue due to high volume of fails

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fuel pump can fail in each engine, but in N54 it was an issue due to high volume of fails
I think the number of failures was larger for the N54 due to two factors:

• Larger number of vehicles were sold with the N54 because it was on the market longer than the N55.
  • N54 engines were the first to experience the HPFP failure and years of work went in to fixing the issue. By the time the N55 was released BMW has a much better handle on the issue.
Had the X5 used the N54 engine I don't see it having any different failure rates compared to its use of the N55. I don't think the engine was the cause of the problem.

·
Drive it like u stole it!
804 Posts
I have the 2011 X5 35i, with the N55 engine, and I just had my first HPFP failure at 17,620 miles. It is pretty upsetting that they have not resolved the problem yet. This is my first problem in all of the cars that I have owned. I guess I was due....lol

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
I have the 2011 X5 35i, with the N55 engine, and I just had my first HPFP failure at 17,620 miles. It is pretty upsetting that they have not resolved the problem yet. This is my first problem in all of the cars that I have owned. I guess I was due....lol
Any more documentation available on this? Is this a completed work order with tangible evidence of a HPFP failure? Or this is what the salesman (ie service advisor) said, and the car is in the shop as we speak.

Not doubting it per se, just think it should be firmly documented.

·
Drive it like u stole it!
804 Posts
It is a completed work order. My service advisor was actually baffled when I had brought my truck in. The work order, which I have in my possession, stated that the HPFP was replaced.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Thanks!

Disappointing they seem to still be having struggles with this...

A

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.