BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for posting the link, I read the article this morning on the front page of AOL. Finally with this in the press, this only helps to validate the problem many of us have had with that engine.
Curious to see how BMW handles it.
It certainly hasn't squelched the sales of the newly released F10 (rumored to be on back order?)
For all of you who suffered through multiple HPFPs I sympathize ( been there), and for those of you who haven't, well I hope you never have to.
I think I will wait at least three years and see what the reliability of the new 550i is before making the move.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Nothing new here...after hundreds of millions of miles driven with hpfp engines, zero accidents caused by it? And the government says nothing to see here after investigating?

I know the article only asks the question...is it a safety issue...but real world results and government investigations point to not at all.

·
Registered
824 Posts
No injuries or deaths caused yet=no safety issue? That's how it works? Not in my profession. I think it's interesting that Nissan recalled my Frontier for a fuel sending unit inaccuracy stating that it could run out of gas while showing falsely showing fuel in the tank. Usually when you run out of gas you hesitate a bit before finally shutting down...Nissan thinks it's a safety issue and even stated it in the recall notice. Somehow a BMW hesitating and losing power in traffic is not a safety issue? Just because no one has been hurt or died yet? I've had this problem happen to me at highway speed in traffic...it lost power to the point where I couldn't stay at speed and it was clearly a safety issue trying to cross two lanes to get to the shoulder...much like playing frogger.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
No injuries or deaths caused yet=no safety issue? That's how it works? Not in my profession. I think it's interesting that Nissan recalled my Frontier for a fuel sending unit inaccuracy stating that it could run out of gas while showing falsely showing fuel in the tank. Usually when you run out of gas you hesitate a bit before finally shutting down...Nissan thinks it's a safety issue and even stated it in the recall notice. Somehow a BMW hesitating and losing power in traffic is not a safety issue? Just because no one has been hurt or died yet? I've had this problem happen to me at highway speed in traffic...it lost power to the point where I couldn't stay at speed and it was clearly a safety issue trying to cross two lanes to get to the shoulder...much like playing frogger.
Yes and I could say the same thing about the time I blew a tire on my work truck at 70 mph. Driving is inherently dangerous at best. Parts fail and crap CAN happen.

dj

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yes a tire blowout is a safety issue. An occasional tire blowout is different from a known defect...ask Firestone. If you want to call the N54 unreliable that's fine, but to say that fuel delivery failure is not a safety issue is false.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes a tire blowout is a safety issue. An occasional tire blowout is different from a known defect...ask Firestone. If you want to call the N54 unreliable that's fine, but to say that fuel delivery failure is not a safety issue is false.
OK, forget that ZERO accidents have been reported after literally hundreds of millions of miles on real roads. This is why he article can only ask the question about safety, because there is zero evidence that it is.The BMW has a circuit breaker as a safety precaution, not a safety problem.

With your logic, EVERY part of a car is a safety issue.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm simply saying that when a car loses power at high speed that this is a safety issue. I don't care if it's due to running out of fuel or the engine blowing up whatever.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i agree. it is a safety issue. documented now, too. a safety issue meriting government action does not necessarily require imminent or recorded loss of life.

the fact that a system suddenly ceases to function as it was designed especially one that controls something so basic and essential as the speed of your vehicle, without any external mitigating factors, makes it a liability for BMW.

i'd say that BMW has been exceedingly lucky nobody has been injured yet. at least apparently, as yet. who knows what more analysis might uncover, and im certain the analysis done thus far is nowhere near exhaustive.

now it's up to BMW's lawyers and actuaries to see what solution makes the most fiscal sense for their shareholders. whatever the end-result, it will come down to money, not safety.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I had a Volvo S80 - I had the throttle position switch get flaky, and the engine went into limp mode on the highway a few times. Yes it is scary. That is how i got to BMW. Luckily my conservative nature kept me away from turbos/hpfp.
The turbo Volvo was also too complex for me. luckily i didnt get one. They are also big trouble/$$.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I think BMW has just been lucky that there has been no HPFP related accident. For my car, when the HPFP malfunctioned we were on the highway but within a 1 mile of our exit. I hope that BMW fixes it because the 535 xi is a brilliant car otherwise.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
now it's up to BMW's lawyers and actuaries to see what solution makes the most fiscal sense for their shareholders. whatever the end-result, it will come down to money, not safety.
Interestingly, if a car is deemed unsafe by its owners and the public, then the lost sales quickly become a money issue to the manufacture's shareholders...as Toyota found out the hard way. Having my wife's 535 transition to limp mode at freeways speeds was most definitely a safety issue for us. Since the F10 is currently available only with direct injection engines, I'm sure that BMW either now has, or soon will have, the HPFP solution in hand. I also predict that there will eventually be a recall to retrofit the N54 with reliable pumps.

Spyder

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Interestingly, if a car is deemed unsafe by its owners and the public, then the lost sales quickly become a money issue to the manufacture's shareholders...as Toyota found out the hard way. Having my wife's 535 transition to limp mode at freeways speeds was most definitely a safety issue for us. Since the F10 is currently available only with direct injection engines, I'm sure that BMW either now has, or soon will have, the HPFP solution in hand. I also predict that there will eventually be a recall to retrofit the N54 with reliable pumps.

Spyder
I totally agree. Having had to drive my car in limp mode twice on the highway, I could see it being a safety issue really quickly, especially since my wife took the car on her 70 mile round trip commute the day day before. Also, while lawyers might be part of the calculation, BMW needs to be aware of what black eye to its reputation the HPFP could be. Other luxury cars offer the same features as BMW and are cheaper including most of its competitors. After the N54, I am personally very leery to own a turbo BMW again (which would take most of the models out of the running).

·
Registered
824 Posts
I also predict that there will eventually be a recall to retrofit the N54 with reliable pumps.

Spyder
I hope so, although I'm not sure it's just the pump that is the issue. I wish BMW would extend the 10 year warranty to the injectors/rail/software, etc. that have also had to be replaced or updated to fix some of these cars.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i agree. it is a safety issue. documented now, too. a safety issue meriting government action does not necessarily require imminent or recorded loss of life.

the fact that a system suddenly ceases to function as it was designed especially one that controls something so basic and essential as the speed of your vehicle, without any external mitigating factors, makes it a liability for BMW.

i'd say that BMW has been exceedingly lucky nobody has been injured yet. at least apparently, as yet. who knows what more analysis might uncover, and im certain the analysis done thus far is nowhere near exhaustive.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell.

I'm not sure why people try to make exuses for a flawed system. Sure it doesn't bite everyone in the ass but it is a known defect and that is the real problem here. BMW extending the warranty on the HPFP is a big red flag to begin with. Some may want to believe it just shows the high level of customer service BMW provides but behind the scenes chances are much higher this move was nothing more then way to help curb what could become a major PR mess and cost the company millions.

P.S.: Using a tire blow out compared to this is not even the same thing. Unless the tire has a manufacture defect in its design like Firestone dealt with a few years back.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I hope so, although I'm not sure it's just the pump that is the issue. I wish BMW would extend the 10 year warranty to the injectors/rail/software, etc. that have also had to be replaced or updated to fix some of these cars.
Agreed. The repairs are often reported to involve replacing fuel injectors and reprogramming to repair the car. The warranty on the fuel pump only is likely the least costly remedy for BMW.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I wonder if the HPFP problems are a result of defective HPFPs, or whether they are caused by some other defect in particular cars. Based on my non-scientific observation on this board, it seems the people who have HPFP problems have recurring HPFP issues, even after the HPFP is replaced. It's odd that cars with replaced HPFPs have recurring problems when many on this board haven't experienced any issues with their pumps.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mine is a BMW buyback. In the California Warranty Buyback Notice it states under "Problem(s) Reported By Original Owner: 1) Engine runs sluggish and stalls" and under "Repairs Made, if any, to Correct Reported Problem(s): 1) Replaced bank 2 injectors and spark plugs."
The SA at my local BMW Center mentioned that also the HPFP was replaced at one time.
My thinking when I purchased this car was that a vehicle repaired at the factory might be at least as reliable as some other pre-owned BMW and also getting a discount. Could be wishful thinking.

The SA also pointed out that he is aware of a number of factory buybacks where the owners were angling for a way out of their 800 Dollar/month leases for financial reasons. Who knows?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Mine is a BMW buyback. In the California Warranty Buyback Notice it states under "Problem(s) Reported By Original Owner: 1) Engine runs sluggish and stalls" and under "Repairs Made, if any, to Correct Reported Problem(s): 1) Replaced bank 2 injectors and spark plugs."
The SA at my local BMW Center mentioned that also the HPFP was replaced at one time.
My thinking when I purchased this car was that a vehicle repaired at the factory might be at least as reliable as some other pre-owned BMW and also getting a discount. Could be wishful thinking.

The SA also pointed out that he is aware of a number of factory buybacks where the owners were angling for a way out of their 800 Dollar/month leases for financial reasons. Who knows?
California has very easy lemon law to cash in on so you see a lot of buyback cars are from Cali. It won't surprise me either if some people where trying to get out of a lease or payment.

Also you have a higher concentration of wealthy people who don't put up with any BS in Cali. compared to other parts of America. Not too mention many of them have been loyal BMW customers and have purchased multiple cars from them for years. So they tend to bend over backwards to keep them coming back, as they should.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.