BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like if your phone doesn't have tethering then this become useful, otherwise using phone personal hotspot/tethering would be much simpler and presumably faster, so no real value to this except bragging rights? :rofl:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Looks like if your phone doesn't have tethering then this become useful, otherwise using phone personal hotspot/tethering would be much simpler and presumably faster, so no real value to this except bragging rights? :rofl:
Got it and agree. No real value...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Got it and agree. No real value...
...to you! Maybe it has significant value to someone else.

Since the OP took the time to look through the directory tree and find another setting that adjusts yet another parameter in our cars, some people should be thankful rather than dismissive. I'll be awaiting your next coding find, I'm sure it will be great.

Sean

·
Premium Member
45,614 Posts
BMW isn't exactly stupid. This WLAN functionality they have added has to serve a purpose.

Clearly if a car is getting Internet over Bluetooth, it would be redundant to have the Head Unit act as a Hotspot since the mobile phone serving up the internet to it is already in Tehering / Hostpost mode.

HU_NBT was upgraded to 3G, and I think it may even be upgradeable to LTE in the future. My guess is that is for cars with factory 614 Internet via the cars 3G Connection, and will turn that connection into a Hotspot.

·
Registered
314 Posts
...to you! Maybe it has significant value to someone else.

Since the OP took the time to look through the directory tree and find another setting that adjusts yet another parameter in our cars, some people should be thankful rather than dismissive. I'll be awaiting your next coding find, I'm sure it will be great.

Sean
+1

We need more people willing to test/search/explore so we can keep pushing coding forward.

It is easy to criticize. It is much harder to find new codes.

JEG23

·
Registered
31 Posts
allright, I enabled it. I was able to connect to it (no DHCP service though...) as a client, and it told me to enable DLNA music/video streaming. The hostname of my connected laptop shows up in the display, and has the icon for video and audio next to it. I now have a new media source (next to bluetooth streaming, usb or library). Now the bad news is that I didn't get it to work yet... I don't have much time today so I'll look into it a bit more in the next few days.

screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/W3u6T

the wifi module supports client mode as well, I'll try that next to make it connect to my home network (it is supposed to support "HomeSync"... whatever that is... I presume its a way to sync your library with your home computer?). I believe that this functionality is not ready for general consumption yet as the menus are a bit bugged (empty menu items etc).
There are 2 power levels that can be coded, "incar" or "outdoor". Incar is weak signal for in car use (duh), outdoor is pretty powerful, the car is in my basement and I can connect to it easily from the other side of my house with 2-3 bars out of 5.
There is also an option to enable a webserver, that may be interesting, I'll try that too and report my findings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeah the use case is that you'll put your laptop in your car, connect to the car wifi, and then your windows media player library will be shared, and you'll be able to browse this through the idrive. Pretty nice imo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
awesome, I got it to work. I installed a DLNA/UPnP media server (pixel media server) on my android phone and can now browse directories and play audio and video on the device. Works quite well. Cover art display works too. I'll take some pics and upload them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
and here are the settings to get all of this working:

HU_NBT > 3003 > WLAN_STATUS > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3003 > WLAN_MODUS > ap
HU_NBT > 3003 > WLAN_SIGNAL_STRENGTH > ***8220;incar***8221; for low power, ***8220;outdoor***8221; for high power
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_COVERART > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_VIDEO > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP > aktiv

I tried the other WLAN_MODUS settings (client mode etc) but those didn't appear to work

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.