Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi there,
I have 2016 535i with M package. We had to replace the windshield due to two rock hitting it. Well. Long story short, windshield is replaced at a BMW dealership yesterday but I noticed that head up display is very blurry or ghosting. I talked to them and they are saying that they order oem part and this the correct part. It has become so bad that after driving for few minutes with HUD on, it will start giving you the headache.
They are insisting that its just a setting and just need to be reset or adjust and I went through the settings couldn't find anything that could adjust the blurriness.
After reading on this form I found out that this happens due to windshield not being HUD compatible. I tried telling them but I think it i am dealing with "we are expert in it,doing it for years what would the customer know, we are experienced and customer don't know anything about it" type of situation
Now, I need help/ guidance to how to go about it without being rude and get the issue resolved.
I will really appreciate any help/guidance in this matter.

Thank you.

NO< NO < NO<NO !!!!!!!
The windshields for cars with HUD are special!! And more expensive.
They're designed to eliminate the ghosting (reflection of the projection from 2 different layers of glass)
I think even the owner's manual states that, If I recall.
IF they don***8217;t help you, ask for the number of the BMW district or area manager.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had same issue. replaced windshield with the correct part number for HUD but blurry.

After much discussion, the repairer finally agreed to put another one in to test. It worked perfectly.

So, both windshields were the same part number, one worked, one didn't.

(Was a 2008 E60 520D, so no adjustment able to be done)

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi there,
I have 2016 535i with M package. We had to replace the windshield due to two rock hitting it. Well. Long story short, windshield is replaced at a BMW dealership yesterday but I noticed that head up display is very blurry or ghosting. I talked to them and they are saying that they order oem part and this the correct part. It has become so bad that after driving for few minutes with HUD on, it will start giving you the headache.
They are insisting that its just a setting and just need to be reset or adjust and I went through the settings couldn't find anything that could adjust the blurriness.
After reading on this form I found out that this happens due to windshield not being HUD compatible. I tried telling them but I think it i am dealing with "we are expert in it,doing it for years what would the customer know, we are experienced and customer don't know anything about it" type of situation
Now, I need help/ guidance to how to go about it without being rude and get the issue resolved.
I will really appreciate any help/guidance in this matter.

Thank you.
I had mines replaced about 2 months ago and no problems with mines. It does sounds like they installed the wrong type of windshield in your vehicle. Go over the paperwork and make sure that the windshield is the correct one. Don't take there word for it. there humans and they make mistakes too. Good luck with your situation. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A few months ago i also had to replace My windshield (insurance), my BMW F11 LCI 2015 also has HUD and like @bmguy the exact same marks.

I could not find the "HUD" marking, but its normal as this says on TIS to be only until 2012, being my car from 2015.
I could also check that from 2012 forward, BMW has new part numbers "from Jul '12"
If any BMW owner with a car with max 5 years with HUD could confirm, would be nice, raising the rubber will not damage it, if your car does not have the rubber dry and cracking that in that case replace it for 40€ on any BMW, leaving it cracking will lead to electric issues on your car.

51317333831 -> HUD/KAFAS
51317333835 -> IR/HUD/KAFAS
The difference is driving assistance Plus = IR
Insurance companies will do their best to pay less possible. it's a business they are not charity, only some guys are not honest.

Is there any other way to validate the part number on the windshield?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts