BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took my 2011 F01 in for the customer care package. The car had been having an occasional rough idle when cold. Also DTC's for misfires and injector cutout. Thought no big deal, dealer would replace injectors, CCV, and few other related components. After dealer had the car for about a 2 weeks I was then notified that it required the most extreme variance of the package, which means timing chains, head gaskets, valve covers gaskets, injectors, and about a hundred other line items. I thought cool, basically they would be overhauling the engine.

About a month later I received a call stating the car was being "finalized" however the there was a problem with the VANOS system and it would be $1800 to repair. I declined as I thought it was odd I had never had issues with VANOS on this car before, I wanted to inspect the issue myself. I arrive at the dealer to retrieve my car, they bring it out barely running with drive train malfunction active. Barely have power enough to drive on the freeway and make it home. A few days later I start investigating. The car would not stay running when cold, and would stall constantly. I started with VANOS test plans in Rheingold (BMW software diag. software) and found all the CAM adjusters were not controllable. I swapped VANOS solenoids with another set I had from another N63 engine (I actually have a f02 parts car). Checked all fuses, power, and oil flow. Everything seemed to be working. Yet the issue persisted. After an entire day of research and head scratching I decided to check the CAM adjusters as I learned the intake and exhaust are not interchangeable.

As soon as I removed the intercooler and timing cover I knew. They had installed the VANOS adjusters backwards. The intake and exhaust were swapped. This is where I'm at now. I plan on going back in on Tuesday and***8230;..expressing my displeasure. I'm upset that they thought it was OK just to give the car back to me and basically say "not my problem." Especially when it was in operable/drivable condition before. Luckily I'm mechanically inclined, have a good set of tools, and a BMW ICOM. It would have been on an expensive goose chase without them. I plan on at least asking for the $50 CCP gift card. How would you respond?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
That's a shame. You should be reimbursed or they should replace the car.

·
Registered
371 Posts
BMW tech here,,,,I'm sorry to here what happened,,,,but I have seen BMW tech swap the vanos unit because the vanos unit are not in the normal places on a N63,,,,,that being said,,,,shame on the dealer and shop foreman for not looking into your car,,,,if the problem wasn't there before you brought it in,,,,then it must have been a mistake the BMW tech made,,,,the dealer should have not released your car to you,,,,when it is clearly there fault,,,,and besides it doesn't take a mouth to perform that repair,,,,it takes about 5 to 7 days,,,,I'm ashamed as a BMW tech when this happens to customers,,,,,I'm sorry,,,,my blog page bmwtechnician

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think they owe you more than a $50 gift card at this point. That's a huge oversight on their part, especially letting the car leave in a condition it didn't arrive in previously. Good on you for appearing to keep your cool through it. I'd be interested to see how they respond to this one.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
First of all....I'm impressed with your skills. I'd be asking for more than $50 too. Can't believe they let the car leave the shop running like that. I wonder if the part being on backwards caused any other issues. If so, I'd be asking for a new engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Will provide an update once I make it into the dealership. Also special thanks to BMW technician, I came across his blog when I was researching and several of the N63 related posts really made it easier to identify the issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK now I'm upset. I went in with printed photo documentation of what I found. The service adviser briefly looked the paperwork I had over, then went and talked with one of the techs in the shop area. He came back out and almost verbatim said "You can schedule an appointment to bring it in and if your right we will wave the diagnostic fee, but if your wrong you will have to cover the the diagnostic labor." They aren't able to look at it until next week (and of course no loaner car, not that I've ever been offer one.) So now they want me to be on the hook for the labor to "diagnose" it which is probably a few hundred dollars. And what's to say they come to the same conclusion I did, what if they insist on brand new solenoids before they would look into deeper issues?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Call sales, ask for the name of the general manager, then ask for his or her e-mail address. Hang up and write him or her a brief e-mail with a link to this thread. Call sales back, ask to speak with the general manager, leaving a voicemail stating you've sent him an e-mail and require his immediate follow-up. When you speak with him, state you should not in any way be responsible for any diag fee because you brought your car in running fine and it was returned to you in its current state. Further describe the way in which your service advisor and the shop foreman has already handled your matter and that special accommodation must be made for a loaner vehicle tomorrow. Consider requesting to communicate directly with the service manager as well. Also be sure to take photos of your car, exterior and interior, upon drop off. In all, forget dealing with anyone other than the general manager and the service manager going forward. Stress that immediate attention to and resolution of your matter is imperative so same is not further complicated.

·
Registered
371 Posts
BMW tech here,,,,I can't believe this is how they are handling this screw up,,,that would have never happened at are dealership,,,,and if it did you would have given a loaner car and taken the car in at once to fix it,,,,,I don't understand how they could have released your car in the first place,,,,this really has me upset and pissed off when this sh&$ happens.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
After making some calls, there seems to only be one service adviser and one service manager. The service manager was there when I went in last time, sitting right next to the adviser I was talking to. The manager pretty much mirrored what the adviser said. I tried to at least get them to look at the car earlier, but they wouldn't do it. I think they just don't believe me or really don't care. I haven't received a response from the GM. After reading the reviews on Yelp it seems like a horrible experience with the service dept is not an uncommon occurrence. Several people have said that they were wronged in one way or another, then tried to resolve the issue with upper management and were either pushed back to the service manager or ignored. Some really terrible reviews (look at all the 1 star ratings! And that's sorted by date not ratings) : http://www.yelp.com/biz/coast-bmw-san-luis-obispo?sort_by=date_desc

I was talking to my coworker about this dealership and he said the last time he went in for service there, they LOST HIS CAR. It took them an hour to locate, they had accidentally sent it to some used car dealer as they mixed it up with a car that was in for an airbag recall.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I would contact BMW North America....you have all the evidence needed and have done way more leg work than the average customer.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I was talking to my coworker about this dealership and he said the last time he went in for service there, they LOST HIS CAR. It took them an hour to locate, they had accidentally sent it to some used car dealer as they mixed it up with a car that was in for an airbag recall.
Should have told them to keep it and write a check :rofl:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Be on top of the General Manager. If no luck, see if the dealer is owned by a dealer group and contact the president of that company. Otherwise, yes, BMWNA.

Keep us posted throughout.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Are they the only BMW within 100 miles radius? Call BMWNA and get the word out about this dealership.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts