BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ZSCCA Asheville volunteer
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Preface: in my 2001 Z3 I installed an AUTOMATIC (brand) OBD reader which sent information to my iPhone via Bluetooth. I was informed if the system pulled a code. Installed in a socket on the passenger side of the central console and used successfully for several years before I finally sold the car.

In my 2004 330ci, the AUTOMATIC unit is incompatible, so I purchased a HUM OBD reader from Verizon along with a 2-year cell contract for the unit.

Problem: According to the HUM website, the OBD socket is in the driver's side assembly by the trunk switch below the dash, facing the inside of the car. Attached is the photo they supply in which you can see the dead pedal. I certainly wish this were the installation, since it would solve my problem.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. The socket in my car is beneath the dash to the left of the pedals, facing down. The HUM reader sits exactly where my foot needs to move from the floor to exit the car. Once the unit is bumped, it falls out of the socket. In addition, the fit into the socket is not terribly tight. I have looked for a 90º adapter that might hold the OBD reader at a less vulnerable angle, but apparently no such animal exists. There are adapter 1' cables, but the plug-in unit still sits in a vulnerable position.

Anyone else with a similar situation?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had similar issue .. purchase an ODB extension cable with a flat connector.. now it’s tucked nicely up under the dash out of sight .

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
That ^ or if you leave it connected at all times just pop the OBD female side out of the lower panel and leave it connected to your device up above the panel - there's enough slack on the OBD cable. (Panel held up by 3 screws) I drive everyday with wifi or BT dongles connected on various chassis - on the e46 I never kick it loose despite the location and my vehicles are mostly 3-pedal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts