BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dumb/weird question. When I turn on my car in the morning or when the engine is cold, I hear this humming noise (metal sounding) but not Very Sharp noise. But it sounds like metal. If the hood is closed, I can hear it.. I would rate it 2-3 (1-10rating with 10 being the loudest). Once I open the hood the noise is around 6-7. The noise is consistent when the engine is on idle. Once I press the gas, the humming noise gets louder. The harder I press the gas, the louder it gets.

I tried to find the source of the humming noise, all I can come up with is that it's close to the steering wheel fluid container. I checked my fluid level, it was low so I added more to the correct level. But the noise is still there after adding the fluid.

After driving the car for over 10minutes, the humming noise most of it goes away but I still here a little humming. I feel like when the engine is not warmed up, that's when the noise gets loud.

Please help me with suggestions. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Hmm, I got the fluid at the office. Will post later. Check your fluid level. The hose clamps loosen in time.:thumbup:

·
Registered
15,902 Posts
I used 2 quarts of Mobil 1 when I did mine. I was shocked: the old fluid looked like muddy water!

Here's how I did it:

Extract as much of the fluid from the reservoir as you can, using a turkey baster.

Optional: remove the reservoir and flush it out with gasoline. I did this, since the filter inside is not removable.

Remove the return hose from the reservoir. It’s the forward hose, coming from the radiator, and into the bottom center of the reservoir. Have something ready to plug the reservoir pipe, and catch any residual fluid in the reservoir. I used a rubber cap, designed to cap off vacuum lines, and a couple of shop rags. You’ll need a new hose clamp.

BTW, this center clamp allows a leak to develop. Best to replace it anyway.

Fit a length of rubber hose onto, or into, the return hose so that you can route it into a catch can of at least two quart capacity. I used a cut-off bleach bottle, since, being white, it is easier to do the next step, as well being an easy target for the stream of fluid.

Fill the reservoir with new fluid. Have both bottles of ATF open and handy. With one hand on the hose, aiming into the bucket, and the other on the bottle of ATF, have a helper start the engine. Keep pouring ATF into the reservoir until fresh fluid comes out into the bucket. Then shut off the engine, reattach the hose, and top up the reservoir.

DO NOT move the steering wheel with the return hose disconnected, and the engine running! It will pump lots more fluid, and, if the hose is not restrained, it will blow fluid all over!

Optional Dave “Roadfly” Kowached Method

Every night, after coming home from work, extract as much fluid from the reservoir as possible. Fill with fresh fluid. After running two quarts through this way, the system will be much cleaner.

Once cleaned this way, do one reservoir-full at each oil change.

I've read where, if you open up the banjo bolt on the pump, the system will drain out. Never tried it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dalek: Thanks, I'll check the hose clamps.

Ed: Your instructions are gonna be helpful. Thanks so much. I'll post the results when I do it tomorrow.

Update: the noise is getting worse. One thing I didn't mention ;the fluid reservoir was almost empty when I filled it up. The oil didn't even touch the level stick on the cap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine did the samething and was leaking a bit. I did a power steering flush, which you should do at least every other year. I changed the upper and lower hose clamps and used LUCAS power steering repair fluid and everything is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.