BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that my fans in the dash was making a slight high pitch squeel when on the low setting. Anyone ever experience this? Did you work with the dealer to resolve? I am guessing a bearing issue or perhaps it is loose. Not sure if this is covered under the extended warrenty. Thanks.

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
My fan -on the low speed setting - makes more a low pitch warble than squeal. I ignore it as my warranties went by the wayside long ago. Ask your dealer if it is covered.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
I noticed today that my fans in the dash was making a slight high pitch squeel when on the low setting. Anyone ever experience this? Did you work with the dealer to resolve? I am guessing a bearing issue or perhaps it is loose. Not sure if this is covered under the extended warrenty. Thanks.
Your symptoms are consistent with a dry bearing. You have a pressed on squirrel cage blowere wheel. It won't come off and can't make any noise. It's the motor front bearing which is making the noise. They cannot be oiled so the motor will have to be oiled. Amazingly, it is not a horrendous job and can even be done by a good do-it-yourselfer. The motor and blower wheel come fastened together as a unit I believe, but do check with Orient or a parts house to confirm it is not available separately.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Blower motor whine is a common issue with the e9x. Replacement is fairly affordable, as DSX mentioned. I had mine done by Turner with a "used" part from a car being stripped for race conversion. Cost was less than $200. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It's only in the 2-3 bars fan speed. If I either lower to 1 bar or increase to more than 3, the sound disappears. I am not under warranty anymore and chose to ignore it. If it's only $200 to fix I may want to do it, but my fear is that any time something is replaced it introduces a possibility of other things failing. I know this does not sound scientific, but it's been my experience. My buddy also told me to ignore small things in a BMW, since fixing them (even under warranty) may introduce bigger problems later.

I am somewhat glad that it's not just my car doing that. Misery loves company.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. Yeah I am not a fan of someone pulling the dash apart. My car is due for service soon. i will ask at that time. Exact issues as detailed above, only on the lower settings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm experiencing the same thing on my E46, it's like a ticking soumd when the bars of the A/C is at 2-3 bars and it's getting to be annoying already...Does anyone know how we could resolve this issue??? HELP!!!

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
Thanks all. Yeah I am not a fan of someone pulling the dash apart. My car is due for service soon. i will ask at that time. Exact issues as detailed above, only on the lower settings.
You don't have to pull the dash apart. The blower is fitted behind and below the glovebox and access is gained by removing the trim panel above the passenger's feet. Usually just four or five screws hold the blower in the housing and no part of the housing need be disassembled to remove it.
Changing the blower assembly should not affect any other component in any way, it's a self contained stand alone unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts