Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hybrid BMW X1 xDrive 30e

Rumors are swirling about a plug-in hybrid version of the new BMW X1 that will debut later this year. The X1 plug-in hybrid will likely come branded as X1 xDrive 30e under the iPerformance name. The drive train will be be borrowed from the 2 series Active Tourer hybrid that has already been released but not destine for the US.

BMW plug-in hybrid X5 xDrive40e starts at $63,095

Just like in the Active Tourer, hybrid X1 will be powered by a 1.5L engine produces 134hp and 162 lb-ft of torque, driving the front wheels via a six-speed Steptronic automatic transmission, while an 87hp electric motor will be integrated into the rear axle. Together, the two drive systems produce a combined 221hp and 284 lb-ft of peak torque.

The cool thing about BMW's system is that it can power the front, rear or all four wheels, depending on the drive mode. When using both, the X1 plug-in hybrid will be able to accelerate to 60 MPH in about 7 seconds and top out at closer to 130 mhp. The X1 plug in hybrid will be slightly slower than the 2 series Active Tourer plug in (225xe) due to more weight.

BMW 330e iPerformance Details and Photos Released

There will be three pure electric modes named 'AUTO eDRIVE', 'MAX eDRIVE' and SAVE BATTERY, which are also found on the X5 and F30 3 Series plugin hybrids. Expect an electric only range to be between 25-30 miles.

There will not be any bigger visible changes on the outside, probably just some minor details. The only thing that will stand out is the extra fuel door for the charger socket on the front left fender. Stay tuned for more details about the X1 plug-in hybrid as they're uncovered.

BMW x1 plugin hybrid

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not worth it to me until they get the electric only range up to about 200 miles. Hybrids are a temporary fix for fuel standards mandates. I expect Chevy and Tesla to get there first as BMW has spent so much effort on diesel. Hydrogen is still a long shot. But I hope BMW is not far behind on the long range electrics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Based on the reference to the 2-series active tourer in this article, I'm assuming this is yet another drive train being introduced to territories outside of North America. Okay... what is up with the fact that EVERY country outside of North America gets a wide range of engine/drive train options on the X1, while North America only gets one? Is it due to EPA emissions compliance? Surely there is a profit motive; it is more efficient to mass produce the same thing over and over again. But wouldn't that hold true outside of the U.S. as well? Also, why is petrol fuel economy of the X1 so much higher outside of the U.S., e.g., typically 5 - 6 liters/100 km (39 - 47 mpg)? Yes, the smaller engines may have something to do with it, but that's still about 50% better than the U.S. EPA ratings. I personally would have loved to test drive the least powerful engine with FWD only and the manual transmission. Sure, the performance would be underwhelming. But anything manual would be better than an automatic. I'm used to having an automatic now, but it can be frustrating at times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts