BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· CABimmerNation
1,808 Posts
Oh no! Keep us posted. I've had 12 new BMWs since 2004, and never have I had a single drop of leaked oil. Good Luck!
I had a small oil leak on the garage floor...got my car back 7 weeks later. Hope you have better luck than I did.

· CABimmerNation
1,808 Posts
The oil leak was from the main seal, the car had only 7k miles. They told me they had to take half the engine apart to replace, upon putting the engine back together, it refused to start for days. They finally got it started and a "faulty" alternator gernaded almost everything electronic under the hood. They would test it, find another faulty part, order, install and test. This went on for 7 weeks. In the debate about leasing vs. purchasing, I lost BIG TIME. I did purchase because I like to modify my cars and BMW destroyed the value of my car. The car now has on record approx. 8 pages of electrical repairs. I did receive compensation for the time out of service, but I'm screwed when I try to sell. My only hope is I don't have any more issues for the next couple of years and it will seem like everything is solid.

· Gib mir Feurschutz!
1,184 Posts
The oil leak was from the main seal, the car had only 7k miles. They told me they had to take half the engine apart to replace, upon putting the engine back together, it refused to start for days. They finally got it started and a "faulty" alternator gernaded almost everything electronic under the hood. They would test it, find another faulty part, order, install and test. This went on for 7 weeks. In the debate about leasing vs. purchasing, I lost BIG TIME. I did purchase because I like to modify my cars and BMW destroyed the value of my car. The car now has on record approx. 8 pages of electrical repairs. I did receive compensation for the time out of service, but I'm screwed when I try to sell. My only hope is I don't have any more issues for the next couple of years and it will seem like everything is solid.
Couldnt you have lemoned it?

· CABimmerNation
1,808 Posts
Couldnt you have lemoned it?
Yes, CA lemon law is 4 weeks out of service. I weighed the difference in cost out of pocket for a new one compared to keeping what I had with the compensation. I had also done some upgrades at that point, so factored in the cost for those also. It was my choice to keep it, hoping the electronic gremlins would not return.

· Registered
1,917 Posts
7 K miles and already oil leaks feel your pain,knock on wood my doesn't spill a drop:)good luck bro

· CABimmerNation
1,808 Posts
can't lemon a car just because the repair was big at least here in NJ. They fixed the problem and i'm assuming it occured only once not repeatedly
In CA it can be lemoned if the dealership can not fix the same issue after the third attempt, if the car is out of service for more then 4 consecutive weeks and there is a third classification that deals with safety issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.