BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear All,
I bought a BMW 540i Touring recently, this car came with a hydraulic trunk (hydraulic open and closed via the key) Now the problem is that the hydraulic system was empty for a long time. When I opened the trunk i heared the hydro pump buzzing. Now I've filled up the system with hydraulic fluid and got the trunk working ish... The trunk opened half and closed half when I've pushed the Button on my key. But during testing the hydro pump started to make a More and more noice, and the trunk does not automatically open or close anymore. And when operated by hand the trunk is realy havy (complains from my wife ). Now I've disconnected the electricity from the hydro pump in case of breaking it more...
Does anyone know how I can fix the issue so this feature will work again.

Thanks for your help
Regards,
Joost

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Pretty sure that no E39 had a fully automatic trunk open/close. There's a guy in Germany who modded his E39 to do it, using E60 parts and a LOT of time. His other mods point to a thorough knowledge of the BMW parts catalogue, and, if it was possible, he would have used E39 parts. I have to think your system is not BMW-fitted. The only OEM hydraulics that I am aware of in the E39 are the brakes, clutch, and rear suspension in the touring model.

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
The hydraulic tailgate option was not offered here in the USA. You'll need to search on Euro forums for owners that have experience with this feature. Sorry. :(

We didn't get this option here in the States :mad:

And just an FYI to my fellow Yankees that may not be aware of this option we were "robbed" of...there are specific e39 parts for the hydraulic tail gate...no need to loot parts from another BMW model. :)

#12 is the hydro unit for the auto open/close tailgate option

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
That would be an interesting project. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts