BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove my used 2004 545 w/sport package in the rain for the first time last night...and wow! Is it me or is it easily prone to hydroplaining? The last time I drove a car with 18s was my Acura legend that had Toyo Proxes...and it certainly didn't hydroplain like this. Every time I hit a part of the highway where the water isn't draining properly, ie super shallow puddles in low spots and the sunken dips from the tire weight of the traffic, it caught me off guard. Does anyone else agree with me? Perhaps it's the Dunlops? Thanks!

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
how much wear do you have w/ the tires? :dunno: summers or all seasons?

i found that my summer's (toyo t1s) did a lot better then the OE conti ch95 all seasons in puddles. very confident and controlled going through puddles while the ch95's felt frighteningly floaty. :eek:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I was in a blinding flood a few days ago - and was able to drive faster than I felt like I should - 70 or so. The car felt safe, but the conditions didn't so I slowed down until it thinned out. No hint of hydroplaning or "faux" hydroplaning from the wacky steering sensor. Of course my tires are new - 1000 miles on them.

[edit] Oops - sorry, I don't have Dunlops - Bridgestone Potenza RFTs

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Dunlops that came with the sport package and they have good tread on them. When I hit a puddle on the highway, it felt as if I could lose control if I wasn't paying attention.

·
Registered
884 Posts
what do you expect from wide preformance tire in the rain. yes they will hydroplane. either slow down or get rain tires. why do you think the F! car change tire when it rains.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
merklebob said:
what do you expect from wide preformance tire in the rain. yes they will hydroplane. either slow down or get rain tires. why do you think the F! car change tire when it rains.
most "summer" tires are excellent in rain unless they are catergorized as "dry".

·
Registered
862 Posts
So maybe the Potenzas are not so bad then...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts