BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just browsing my dealer's CPO listing, and to my amazement I came across this:

2000 323i
VIN Number: KC65076
Body Style: Sedan
Mileage: 32,995
External Color: Titanium Silver Metallic
Interior Color: Gray Leather
Transmission: Manual
Dealer's stock#: 60492FC
* Price: $28,995
Installed Options:
Heated Front Seats
Sport Premium Pkg

Whats wrong with this picture? I paid a little over $31,000 for this car three years ago, so I was a little surprised to see that the 3 series depreciated only $2000 in 36 months... It has an astounding 85% resale value based on the MSRP, and over 90% when calculated by the sale price.... And some people had the nerve to say E46's had bad resale value!! :flipoff: :lmao:

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Seems like a typical price to me. CPO vehicles, and used E46 prices in general are amazingly high. From what I've seen, the only ones that have really seemed to take a hit are the E46 wagons. The $2400 premium over the sedan seems to vanish in the used market.

There's really very little incentive for me to get a used E46 except that I'd wouldn't feel as bad taking a two year old car to the track.

G

·
DrBimmer said:
I was just browsing my dealer's CPO listing, and to my amazement I came across this:

2000 323i
VIN Number: KC65076
Body Style: Sedan
Mileage: 32,995
External Color: Titanium Silver Metallic
Interior Color: Gray Leather
Transmission: Manual
Dealer's stock#: 60492FC
* Price: $28,995
Installed Options:
Heated Front Seats
Sport Premium Pkg

Whats wrong with this picture? I paid a little over $31,000 for this car three years ago, so I was a little surprised to see that the 3 series depreciated only $2000 in 36 months... It has an astounding 85% resale value based on the MSRP, and over 90% when calculated by the sale price.... And some people had the nerve to say E46's had bad resale value!! :flipoff: :lmao:
That price was inflated by a crack pipe. You can get a 2001 330i for that.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Re: Re: I almost had a heart attack...

TD said:

That price was inflated by a crack pipe. You can get a 2001 330i for that.
I guess you haven't looked at CPO window stickers.

OK, OK, I know its negotiable but its just stupid when a 1-year-old car has a sticker MORE than an identical NEW car sitting next to it.

This is typical in my area, at least.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I almost had a heart attack...

Kaz said:
This is typical in my area, at least.
Not sure if it's in your vicinity, but get a load of this one from Assael BMW:

2001 325 Sport Wagon

Body Style: Wagon
Mileage: 19,973
External Color: Oxford Green Ii Metallic
Interior Color: Sand Leather
Transmission: Automatic
Dealer's stock#: b2230
* Price: $38,425
Installed Options:
Am/Fm/CD Player-In Dash
Automatic Transmission
Harman-Kardon Sound System
Premium Package
Sport Package

They're smoking some serious dope with that asking price. I don't think I could stop laughing long enough to make a serious counter-offer.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Assael BMW is notorious for slapping on "paint protection" and $300 floormats. I shopped there once, the sales was like "well, I can give you a $500 discount, but we've already applied the paint protection package on all our cars the moment they arrive." Hm, let me see...They're giving me a $500 discount for paying $900 for a coat of wax. Right.

I also asked them about getting on a wait list for an M3, and their response was "we don't do wait lists for high demand models like that. Why commit to a price when we know we can sell this car to the highest bidder?" Honest, real words from the horses mouth.

They're also the same guys that had a Z8 marked up to $250,000.

Their service department has been VERY, very good to me though. ;)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: I almost had a heart attack...

IndyMike said:

2001 325 Sport Wagon

Installed Options:
Am/Fm/CD Player-In Dash
Automatic Transmission
Premium Package
Sport Package
Geeze. 2003 NEW STICKER $38,370 after destination. $38,120 for 02 pricing.

:eek:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Dr. Bimmer, didn't BMW or the dealership bought it back from you because it was basically a lemon? You also said previously that it was being used as a loaner car.

I don't know. If this is CPO then I will take my chances with a private party.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
DougDogs said:
Come on now, we all know that asking price does not equal selling price, don't we:dunno:
But should the asking price on a used car be more than that of a new one, considering both are asking, not selling, prices? :dunno:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I forgot to mention that some of these cars I've seen are straight up used, with NO CPO benefits.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Kaz said:

But should the asking price on a used car be more than that of a new one, considering both are asking, not selling, prices? :dunno:
I asked that same question at a dealer near the BMWNA offices (this dealer sells a lot of the "corporate cars" ) I think the name was Prestige?? on Rt 17 I started laughing when asking the queation, and the salesman said something about how "management makes them put those prices on" "that's not the price we are going to sell the car to YOU for" These guys must be waiting for people who don't know better.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DaveN323i said:
Dr. Bimmer, didn't BMW or the dealership bought it back from you because it was basically a lemon? You also said previously that it was being used as a loaner car.

I don't know. If this is CPO then I will take my chances with a private party.
That is my '99. It was bought back as a "trade-assist" (read: Not a lemon), the same procedure used in many of the recent 745 buy-backs. Basically, BMW offers to buy it back before you take any action to have it deemed a lemon, they get you your money back or a replacement car, and you sign a waiver that you will take no further action against them.

The car listed above is my '00, the replacement car. It was a cream puff, and it is probably the nicest 3 series they have on their lot. Still, it is sheepishly overpriced.

I turned the '00 in on my '02 325 a few weeks back. I can say I have had no complaints, the 325 is everything the 323 was, only more.... The only quibble is that the steering is a little less firm, but I mean very slight. It is no where at all near what the '01 models were like... It more than makes up for it with the improved exhaust note. I love the sound of the engine, it is so much better than my 323 was.

Anyway, enough of a side note.... The car I listed above is not my lemon. I have had 3 E46s to date, the one above is #2.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: I almost had a heart attack...

IndyMike said:

Not sure if it's in your vicinity, but get a load of this one from Assael BMW:

2001 325 Sport Wagon

Installed Options:
Am/Fm/CD Player-In Dash
Automatic Transmission
Premium Package
Sport Package

They're smoking some serious dope with that asking price. I don't think I could stop laughing long enough to make a serious counter-offer.
Yeah thats definitely a slap in the face I spent 400 dollars more then that for my new 330Ci all packages 3 weeks ago...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts