BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get Euros here at 1.65, is it better to to do it in Europe? What rate did you get?
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Good question. Usually I limit exchanging funds in the U.S. to what I may need for the first few days and try to get to a bank in Germany for the balance of what is needed. What I don't know is whether the exchange sites at the Airport in Germany will give you as good a rate as at a commercial bank. Don't forget the tack on fees that may be added when small amounts are being exchanged.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've always used my ATM card in Europe and let the bank figure out the exchange rate.

As with "regular" use of ATM here in the states, I always make sure I get plenty of cash so I don't have to keep paying the out-of-bank fee, and that way I don't have to worry about having a large chunk of cash that if I lost it would ruin my vacation.

Hope this helps,
Julian

·
2009 M3 E93 w/DCT
1,315 Posts
I can get Euros here at 1.65, is it better to to do it in Europe? What rate did you get? Thank you.
This exchange rate question, in general, has been answered several, several times if you Search this Forum :slap:

That said, one of the best transaction rates is possible if you get a BofA ATM card and use Deutsche Bank ATMs while in Deutschland. No (None) transaction fees charged by DB or BofA and a very good DB exchange rate :thumbup:

DB and BofA have an alliance agreement of some kind between their banks, which allows German tourists the same privilege at U.S. BofA ATMs. However, you are limited to only 1 transaction per day and for a max of whatever your U.S. limit in dollars will allow. A way around this limit, if you are married or have a significant other, is to also get that person a BofA ATM card on your account, then you can get 2X per day of your U.S. limit :hi:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know this has been covered here many times, but I wanted to see BOA's policy for myself, just in case there was ever a problem. http://bankofamerica.via.infonow.net/locator/atmbranch/ListLoadAction.do

I put in my location state (Washington). Listed on the right side of the page are foreign locations/banks who are within their "Global ATM Alliance." I also had a chat with my local branch who suggested that if you only have ATM cards (without the VISA symbol on the front), then you need to get debit cards (sometimes called check cards) that have the VISA logo on it. This is probably a no brainer to everyone except me. I appreciate that someone brought up this topic a while back, though, because it is something I wouldn't have thought of and I'd be stuck in Germany with an ATM card that didn't work.

·
I need more coffee!
477 Posts
This exchange rate question, in general, has been answered several, several times if you Search this Forum :slap:

That said, one of the best transaction rates is possible if you get a BofA ATM card and use Deutsche Bank ATMs while in Deutschland. No (None) transaction fees charged by DB or BofA and a very good DB exchange rate :thumbup:

DB and BofA have an alliance agreement of some kind between their banks, which allows German tourists the same privilege at U.S. BofA ATMs. However, you are limited to only 1 transaction per day and for a max of whatever your U.S. limit in dollars will allow. A way around this limit, if you are married or have a significant other, is to also get that person a BofA ATM card on your account, then you can get 2X per day of your U.S. limit :hi:
+1. This is by far the best way to get cash with no fees and at the bank****bank exchange rate. To check the current exchange rate use www.oanda.com, however realize that these fluctuate daily. Another advantage to BofA is not access to DB ATMs in Germany, but als BNP ATMs in France and Barclays in the U.K. (see http://bankofamerica.via.infonow.net/locator/atmbranch/ListLoadAction.do and look on the right hand side of the page for Int'l banking agreements). I'm planning on using this option exclusively during our upcoming ED. Did this last summer and the only transaction on the checking statement upon our return was a cash withdrawal at an ATM based on the transaction rate. (Example: I withdrew 500Euro at Munich airport ATM, $690 withdrawal showed up on statement based on a $1.38 / 1Euro rate).

Gute Reise!

·
Registered
67 Posts
...one of the best transaction rates is possible if you get a BofA ATM card and use Deutsche Bank ATMs while in Deutschland. No (None) transaction fees charged by DB or BofA and a very good DB exchange rate
Don't use exchanges - they're a rip-off. Use ATMs. FYI, there's a Deutsche Bank ATM in Terminal 1 at MUC near the public bus exit. You can also buy an S-Bahn ticket into city center by credit card.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We simply used the ATM in the airport baggage claim, referenced above. Very easy, convenient and absolutely no hassle. We were never once, while in Germany, able to get the ticket machine for the S-Bahn to take our credit card. This was the only frustrating thing about taking the S-Bahn.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can get Euros here at 1.65, is it better to to do it in Europe? What rate did you get?
Thank you.
I have accounts at Societe Generale France, UBS Switzerland and UBS USA. So I use my euro accounts in europe, my franc accounts in Switzerland and dollars here.

Swiss bank accounts are very nice, and easy to use from anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts