BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with my 330i! Today I pushed my car the hardest since I bought it. I had a day off and the weather was just absolutely gorgeous in the Bay Area. My wife is working the whole day and night in a hospital so I decided to have some fun with HER. I took a ride on a twisty 1 towards the Stinson Beach (remember the race between Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct" - that's the road!) I drove almost anything on this road before: A4, C class, Volvo, Hondas, Toyotas, Jetta. The road was almost perfectly clear and I really wanted to see how much my hard earned money was worth. This car is incredible! I really don't know where its limits are. I just loved plowing through the gears and accelarating hard out of the twisty turns. The car was just absolutely planted on the road. It was as if it was on some kind of rails. Very, very different experience than in any other car I have driven there. Some idiot in a Yukon tried to keep up with me and he almost fell off the road. I slowed down then. Wanted to have my conscience clear this day...
Anyway, I really, really love this car. We talk about little things that bother us about our BMWs here daily, we stress about the possibility of future ugly designs, price hikes, rude dealers and overpiced service. I just wanted to remind everyone that the 3 series is the cheapest alternative to have the most fun and most practical car at the same time. And don't tell me to stop being so euphoric and that this is just A car - you wouldn't be here if that was the case...
Anyway, I am kind of excited (my wife isn't here, did I mention that?) and I feel like driving more tonight but I already had dinner and probably half a bottle of some great Californian chardonnay so I guess I will just play my F1 2002 for the rest of the evening. See everyone in the morning!

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Michael330 said:
And don't tell me to stop being so euphoric and that this is just A car - you wouldn't be here if that was the case...
Michael . . . I don't think you'll EVER hear that expression on this board . . . we're a bunch of car nuts !!

Congrats on the 330 . . . I know the exact feeling your describing, there is something so incredible about driving this car enthusiastically . . . I've got good news for you . . . that excited feeling doesn't go away :thumbup:

I've had mine for 2 years and still feel that way everytime I drive it !!!

Enjoy !!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's the beauty of the 330 - it works great as a daily driver, and it loves to be pushed enthusiastically. The vehicle has a soul - an inner voice that keeps saying "come on, let's play!".

The most fun I've had in a 330 is when I've driven at 10/10ths, driving to either its limits or mine - of course, I've only done this at autocrosses and tracks, never on the street. The true nature of this car is shown when it is pushed very hard - it never loses its composure.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Re: Re: I am really in love...

Alan F said:
Michael . . . I don't think you'll EVER hear that expression on this board . . . we're a bunch of car nuts !!
Alan hit it right on the head, we are nuts. Good 'ol Dredmo even has a Thread to vote who is the biggest nut here.

Congrats on the car! :D I too hope the fun never ends with this car.

Very general statement below:

Btw, most women are not into cars, nor do they understand (or try to understand) our feelings about them. Most women have tons of shoes, enough makeup and jewelery to open up a store and spend upwards of $80 on a haircut. Boys need their toys. :D Oh, and flame suit on . . .

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I am really in love...

Ack said:

Btw, most women are not into cars, nor do they understand (or try to understand) our feelings about them. Most women have tons of shoes, enough makeup and jewelery to open up a store and spend upwards of $80 on a haircut. Boys need their toys. :D Oh, and flame suit on . . .
No Flame Suit needed on this one. I agree completely. My wife could start her own shoe store. Steve Madden, NineWest, you name it. There is no telling how much money she has in shoes. Not to mention the clothes she never wears... I spend a good deal of money on car care things and accessories, but at least I use them.

Of course, my wife does drive a Z3, but it is not because she is a car person or even a BMW person. She simply likes the design. Once the lease is up, there is no telling what she will get, but right now she is already leaning towards a Beetle. Ah well, at least it is German!

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Michael330 said:
...This car is incredible! I really don't know where its limits are...
When I upgraded my suspension, that's exactly what I thought. I wanted to find out just how high the limits were, which is what got me to go to a couple driving schools and autocrosses. It's incredible what these cars are capable of when you really get on them. :yikes:

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Re: Re: I am really in love...

Alan F said:

Congrats on the 330 . . . I know the exact feeling your describing, there is something so incredible about driving this car enthusiastically . . . I've got good news for you . . . that excited feeling doesn't go away :thumbup:

I've had mine for 2 years and still feel that way everytime I drive it !!!

Enjoy !!!!
Aye I am glad you have discovered xactly what it us that drives us all so crazy. The love for the road, and being attached to the vehicle we use on it. And there no better car to do it with than our trusty bimmers. grats on your experience... It is one everyone should have :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I am really in love...

Ack said:

Alan hit it right on the head, we are nuts. Good 'ol Dredmo even has a Thread to vote who is the biggest nut here.

Congrats on the car! :D I too hope the fun never ends with this car.

You're right - most women don't understand, but, as I've found out they can be converted.

My g/f drives a considerable amount for work and has never really mentioned anything about where she was driving except to say that she drove alot today. That is until the Komen event. Shortly after that I started hearing things like "I found this great road in Deerfield today"

Oh yeah, a convert! :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ahhh, "general" statements

Some women do love their cars more than shoes! :) I would go barefoot just to keep my car.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Hey atyclb

Looking at your sig all I can think is that M3 is freakin sweet . . . I should be driving that car not you :mad:

(heh heh, you'll never get out of 15th place while I'm around ;) )

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Dan said:
That's the beauty of the 330 - it works great as a daily driver, and it loves to be pushed enthusiastically. The vehicle has a soul - an inner voice that keeps saying "come on, let's play!".

The most fun I've had in a 330 is when I've driven at 10/10ths, driving to either its limits or mine - of course, I've only done this at autocrosses and tracks, never on the street. The true nature of this car is shown when it is pushed very hard - it never loses its composure.
Exactly.

That's where the E46s really shine. The car is very well sorted, very fast, feels great, and balanced at 10/10ths. It does everything you want and is easy to drive.

20,210 Posts
Alan F said:
Hey atyclb

Looking at your sig all I can think is that M3 is freakin sweet . . . I should be driving that car not you :mad:

(heh heh, you'll never get out of 15th place while I'm around ;) )
I see you in the dark corner of the street
Coming after me, yeah
Headlights on full-beam
Coming down the fast lane
Coming after me, yeah

I would like to change back now
To the shadow of
The shadow of my former self

It follows me around

Drooling looney tunes
Moving in a swarm
Moving in a swarm

You follow me around
Follow me around

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sure, as long as your toenails are painted.
My toenails are currently baby blue! :thumbup: I wonder if the TiAg touch-up paint would last longer...:dunno:

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
atyclb said:

I see you in the dark corner of the street
Coming after me, yeah
Headlights on full-beam
Coming down the fast lane
Coming after me, yeah

I would like to change back now
To the shadow of
The shadow of my former self

It follows me around

Drooling looney tunes
Moving in a swarm
Moving in a swarm

You follow me around
Follow me around
I am guessing that is a song :dunno:

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Alan F said:

I wouldn't recommend touch-up paint for your nails but if you sniff it like I do, it will make you very happy ;)
Man, you really go to be on the ball to keep up with this place. Every topic has 3 sub topics.

Btw, I think I got my virus fixed, it was called KLEZ.E and it ****ered me up for a long time.

·
She's baaaack! :-)
1,625 Posts
Btw, most women are not into cars, nor do they understand (or try to understand) our feelings about them.

Being female, I feel compelled to respond.. I agree that a lot of women (and men) are not into cars to the degree that I see on this board, but you already admit to being fanatics, so nothing wrong with that.

I do take issue with the second half of your statement as I don't think you give the female gender enough credit here. I read these boards to get information, but I also enjoy reading about all of your thought processes and experiences with your cars.

I completely understand the relationship a man has with his car. Why would you buy a BMW if you didn't enjoy the ride? Why would you get excited about finding the perfect back road to push your car? Why is track time so much fun? Why do you obsess about the smallest little detail and get positively giddy over a new mod? Because it makes you feel so good.

I can think of very few things that make me happier than to ride with someone who has a great performance car AND knows how to drive it. I get chills when I hear and feel the engine crank - that feeling cannot be described. So yes, women can and do understand how you feel about your car - we often feel the same way.

I don't have a performance car, but I appreciate how solid the car is, how well it hugs the curves and how great it feels to go driving. I don't think these feeling are gender specific. I'll always drive a BMW; nothing else compares. So please ease up a bit - some of us 'get it.'

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
GalBimmer said:
Btw, most women are not into cars, nor do they understand (or try to understand) our feelings about them.

Being female, I feel compelled to respond.. I agree that a lot of women (and men) are not into cars to the degree that I see on this board, but you already admit to being fanatics, so nothing wrong with that.

I dont normally jump to people's aid in these things, usually people, myself included, dig thier own graves. But he made it a point to qualify his statement saying most women. I wont say he is right, and while I know women exist that feel as you do. I can say no woman, *I* have met feels as you do. I think saying *most* meaning not all, women are not into cars, is a fairly safe comment. I think he is probably right, And judging by his tone etc.. I dont think he meant it in a bad way, it is more just one of those things any male will repeat 500 times through out the course of his life :D

My wife cannot possibly understand why I feel the way I do about my bimmer. It is really funny sometimes. I am actually glad, because if my wife, was into bimmer as much as I was, we would probably be living in a 1 room appartment, with a CSL in the garage :D :D

Not that it would be a bad thing... oh wait, no garage... appartment car port.

I just did not want anyone to be offended.

Edit: Disregard all that... she is absolutely right, anyone who likes floyd is always right!

geez how shallow am I?:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.