BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday my friend and I went to pick up some upholstery plugs for the door panel because we want to take apart his car and take out all the sound deadening dead weight. I remembered picking up these newer plug design with the little rubber ring around the base to buffer the rattles. Went to Assael BMW first, they didn't have the newer plugs I'm looking for, they are reasonably priced at $0.30 each. I do remember buying those other plugs a while back from Circle or Pacific for less than 25 cents each. Anyway, drove down to NEW f*****ng Century BMW, they DO have the plugs in stock but they wanted $1.80 for each plug. I stood there in disbelieve as I was looking right at his parts diagram on screen and it says, $0.40/plug retail, $0.30/plug LIST, and $1.80 per quantity of 10. I call the little P.O.S. on that and he squarely denied it and said the price is $1.80 each, take it or leave it.

I told my friend to just order it from Circle or Pacific just to spite these bastards. The dumb thing is that the shipping will cost more than the plugs themselves, but that will still be cheaper than the gouging going on at these local dealerships. What B.S. I think I'll just order the M3 strut brace parts (he's looking into that) and then just tag the clips on top of that.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,535 Posts
I'm not saying that you don't have a point Dan, but just imagine how ticked off you'd be if you looked at the mark-up on everything that you personally purchase as a consumer...

Groceries, clothing, furniture, ...whatever.

Why Circle or Pacific anyway?
:dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jon Shafer said:
I'm not saying that you don't have a point Dan, but just imagine how ticked off you'd be if you looked at the mark-up on everything that you personally purchase as a consumer...

Just venting Jon...I prolly should have posted this at the Flame board.

Actually I stopped buying from Pacific. It's rediculous how they don't do will call, so I have to pay $10 PLUS tax and have them ship like 10 miles to my house via UPS. I just buy my stuff from Circle now since I don't have to pay tax.

I did buy my brake brackets from Dan @ Cutter. :) I'll probably drop him an email if my friend IS serious about putting on the strut brace on his E46 M3.

·
Cheapassaurus Rex
128 Posts
The HACK said:
...snip.... Anyway, drove down to NEW f*****ng Century BMW, they DO have the plugs in stock but they wanted $1.80 for each plug. I stood there in disbelieve as I was looking right at his parts diagram on screen and it says, $0.40/plug retail, $0.30/plug LIST, and $1.80 per quantity of 10. I call the little P.O.S. on that and he squarely denied it and said the price is $1.80 each, take it or leave it. ....snip....
Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like $1.80 for 10 plugs? If I got that right and the parts monkey was demanding $1.80 each, I would have asked to see the parts manager.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: I am so sick and tired of this price gouging BULLSH*T from dealership parts depo

SteveMD said:

Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like $1.80 for 10 plugs? If I got that right and the parts monkey was demanding $1.80 each, I would have asked to see the parts manager.
Well, when someone gives me the attitude of "take it or leave it" I usually just leave it and take my business elsewhere. I don't have the patience to deal with this type of stuff.

·
Confused.
4,941 Posts
I always call the dealer I bought my car from and ask him if the parts dept will match the lowest price I find. Usually he will talk the parts dept into doing so. If he doesn't, then just order from someplace else and screw them.

·
5,820 Posts
Jon Shafer said:

Jon, this is waaaayyyy beyond normal markup. Grocery stores work on a very slim margin, it's a volume business. Retail clothing, as a rule, is double wholesale, I was there. Furniture? This would be 4.5 times RETAIL of .40 cents. The .40 cents already includes the mark up, as I would understand it. Also, why would a dealership parts department be so stupid as to alienate a customer over such a small ticket?

·
Registered
979 Posts
It really would be no point calling the parts manager to complain as he probably sets the rip-off-the-customer policy in the first place. In fact, it seems to be normal here in the SFO bay area. If you get anything at msrp here, you just got a heck of a deal! :tsk:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts