BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the ZKWs installed. Man, what a difference. It's astonishing how much better these lights are than the stock units. Now I just need to find someplace that's really dark. Too many streetlights around here.

The install was very smooth. I went with the LavaLighting plug-n-play units (, and it was very nice not having to screw around with splicing wire. Plus, returning to stock will be very easy if I need to for any reason. Well worth it and highly recommended. www.lavalighting.com

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Yup, kind of like the improvement on the E30 when we switched from sealed beams to the Hella ellipsoid setup. Huge difference.

Think you will want/need to upgrade further to HID's now?

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mystikal said:
Yup, kind of like the improvement on the E30 when we switched from sealed beams to the Hella ellipsoid setup. Huge difference.

Think you will want/need to upgrade further to HID's now?
No, I don't think so. Even on factory-installed Xenon systems, I've never really seen the benefit. The light temperature makes things look weird, and on the several HID cars I've driven, I haven't noticed a marked improvement in lighting efficiency.

On top of that, I'm deeply suspicious of aftermarket HID kits. The E36 was never offered with HID from the factory, which means that all the kits simply plug arc-discharge capsules into reflectors designed for tungsten bulbs. I'm no lighting expert, but I've read some technical missives that suggest this is not a good solution.

The ellipsoids will do, I think, especially since most of my driving is in the city where it's light anyway.

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are a couple of pics of the new setup. First, here are the city lights:

And this is the beam pattern of the new low beams.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts