BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 2001 740il. A few weeks ago, my car overheated and when I got home, I found that the bleeder screw had broken in half and I lost my antifreeze.

Thinking that was the problem, I bought a new (brass) bleeder screw and refilled and bled my system. Today when driving only about 5 miles, I got back home and antifreeze was boiling over again.

My guess is it may be a stuck thermostat. Does that sound right to anyone? By the way, my temp gauge showed normal and not overheating when really confuses me.

Also, since the 'check engine' light came on, I'm not sure but it may be time to just take it to a BMW auto repair shop and have them diagnose the problem.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
If the coolant temperature was ok but you still had some over pressure, that could be the sign of a head gasket issue.

Just to make sure you have enough coolant in the system, turn on the cabin heater to maximum and the blowing air should be as hot as nearly burning your skin.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'd vote to check out e38.org & look for the bleeding post.
If not done correctly, you could just be experiencing bleeding problems. Our cars are picky about bleeding. Plus, it only takes a few minutes & it's free to try.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Agreed. These car are notorious for being difficult to bleed. Took me about 5 tries after changing my water pump to get all the air out. You could still have a bad thermostat but head gasket issues are almost non existent on this car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to bleed system again

Thanks to all for the information. I kind of suspected that I may not have bled the system out properly so I'm going to try again. Some you tube videos plus a previous post of this subject have been helpful.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thanks to all for the information. I kind of suspected that I may not have bled the system out properly so I'm going to try again. Some you tube videos plus a previous post of this subject have been helpful.

Thanks again.
Let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'll be sure to post the results

Sure enough, problem is solved by following the directions to properly bleed the air out of the system. Man, these cars are sensitive.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes they are!
But, congrats on a job well done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts