Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 328is and whenever I floor it the engine stutters heavily. When I drive normal and don't floor it my engine works perfect and I can still accelerate sorta quickly but I can't open the throttle all the way. I have no idea what would cause this and I'm very confused. I just replaced the spark plugs, spark plug boot, crankcase hose, vanos, upper timing chain and I cleaned the MAF. It only got really bad after I replaced the spark plugs and boots. Any help would be appreciated!

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Bring your car to a shop and have them hook it up to a computer while driving to test your coils.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Coils are fairly expensive, so I definitely wouldn't go buy six new ones while not knowing if that's the problem. A diagnosis would be well under the cost of six new coils.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coils are fairly expensive, so I definitely wouldn't go buy six new ones while not knowing if that's the problem. A diagnosis would be well under the cost of six new coils.
True. I'll call BMW service at a dealer and find out what's the problem. All the car shops where I live suck so I don't want to take my car to any of those places

·
Registered
741 Posts
The cost of going to a BMW dealer is prohibitive. See if you can find an Indy shop. Plus I bet the overwhelming majority of BMW dealers no longer see too many E36's anymore. I'm sure hnaz can hook you up with a good indy shop in MD. He'll reply soon. Sit tight.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found an indy shop called Silver Star near Annopolis and they have good reviews. I'll give them a call tomorrow

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Oh, I don't remember you mentioning a CEL. Perhaps I missed it if you mentioned it before. That's definitely a worthwhile thing to check out.

That said, when I had a misfire in my car a few years ago, it would only misfire under certain conditions, but was very repeatable. I didn't have any check engine light, so I had no record of which cylinder was misfiring. I tested all the coils myself with a multi-meter, and they all checked out within spec. I replaced a bunch of stuff other than coils, and it didn't fix the problem. Finally I gave up and took it to a shop and they hooked it up to a computer and narrowed in on a cylinder #2 coil failure within minutes. Apparently multi-meters are not sensitive enough to test coils for resistance, but shops often have equipment which is vastly superior and can test them.

I'm not saying you 100% have a coil problem, since it could be many many things, but it's worth looking at. Try swapping the #4 and #3 coil, clear out the fault codes from the computer, and see if the misfire code returns but on cylinder #3 instead of #4. That would indicate the misfire is following the coil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts