BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys... I need some help... This one's outside my wheelhouse...

Just fixed the HPFP, got out driving tonite and my passenger side headlight is pinkish not white light the driver side... I'm assuming it's the bulb?? Or do they have a driver that would cause this?.. never had an issue with the headlights till now...

2013 X5 35i. (0B08807)

Any help in this dept would be awesome!! Thanks!

Photos does show it real well...
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Road surface

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,733 Posts
It is the burner and the ballast and the igniter. The arc gap erodes wears becoming longer requiring higher voltage to run than the ballast can provide. The flicker is the igniter trying to provide the starting voltage. Ballast operating voltage may be 45 volts. Igniter voltage may be about 400 volts.

HID have estimated 2000 hour life. At average 50 MPH x 2000 H = 100,000.

·
Nuclear engineer
23,733 Posts
63 12 870. Replacing ignition unit for left xenon headlight (with xenon bulb)
Warning!
Version with xenon headlights: Danger to life due to high voltage! Therefore, before removing, disconnect all components from the voltage supply (lighting system and ignition off).
Work on the entire xenon lighting system (control unit, ignition unit with bulb) may only be carried out by qualified personnel.
Follow instructions for handling light bulbs (exterior lights).

Attention!
Ignition unit and xenon bulb are viewed as a single component and must not be separated.

“Life is tough.“. It’s even harder when you’re cheap.

·
Officially a BMW Addict
1,244 Posts
Its just the xenon bulb...change both with Osram replacements...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. So I'm hearing both Bulb and ballast... So I guess I'll replace both on both sides... Can't hurt....

Anyone have an idea what's involved in pulling them? Gotta remove the bumper??

·
Nuclear engineer
23,733 Posts
Ok. So I'm hearing both Bulb and ballast... So I guess I'll replace both on both sides... Can't hurt....

Subscribe to NewTIS.info

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Subscribe to NewTIS.info
As an avid BMW DIY guy I refuse to pay $30 for a day, or $250 for a month or even more for longer to access this site.

If I wanted to spend that much to fix it I'd just take it to the dealer... I've got tools and time and would rather pick and probe and guess my way to removing it all long before paying this...

So if no one has any input or has done it... I guess I'll just figure it out... Was just looking for some feedback before doing so.

But thanks for the suggestion.

·
Nuclear engineer
23,733 Posts
What everrr

I posted above - to no good effect. You will never figure it out listening to mockingbirds.

Reactions: jaye944

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What everrr

I posted above - to no good effect. You will never figure it out listening to mockingbirds.
Didn't say I was trying to figure it out... I agree with your original assessment and have ordered new D1S bulbs and new H8 daytime running light replacements for good measure since I'm there.. and lastly 2 new Ballasts.

The question that remains was what's involved in accessing and swapping the ballasts. So if you have access to newtis and want to provide that info.... Or better yet have done it.... I would value your input, as cryptic as it most always is...

·
Registered
8,318 Posts

Do the bulbs and call it a day.
I had failed HiD on numerous cars including bmw, NEVER had to change ballast.
Only time I changed ballast was on father’s in law Lexus. Got it on eBay for $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok Thanks guys, Yeah got the Hint...

Swapped bulbs tonite and it was infact just the bulb. And actually the new 6k bulbs are much brighter. So I get to return the other parts...nice...

Thank you guys yet again for all your help!

Oh and FYI. There is some German engineer drinking a beer somewhere laughing at me trying to swap them because I had to invent a few new curse words and have scrapes and cuts all over my hands now... SMDH didn't have to be that hard.... 😂

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok Thanks guys, Yeah got the Hint...

Swapped bulbs tonite and it was infact just the bulb. And actually the new 6k bulbs are much brighter. So I get to return the other parts...nice...

Thank you guys yet again for all your help!

Oh and FYI. There is some German engineer drinking a beer somewhere laughing at me trying to swap them because I had to invent a few new curse words and have scrapes and cuts all over my hands now... SMDH didn't have to be that hard....
You know what's weird...
I had the same problem at the same time. When my HPFP went out, one of the bulbs went pink.
I went with these 4300K bulbs as I was afraid of going out of the original spec since these cars are so... particular about everything.

And I know exactly what you mean about all the scrapes and cuts. I had found this how-to video that really helped, but that doesn't mean it was easy to get to.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk[/URL]

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hell I can't catch a break for real... This is a pic of my daughters X3 front passenger brake caliper locked up last nite... Isn't it Purdy though!!!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Nuclear engineer
23,733 Posts
Interesting. Same color as the Rondel.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts