2020 BMW 230i
4,151 Posts
<edited>
solved

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Were pins lubricated when pads were changed? Those ATE calipers have dry pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't lube them, but I did take the time to scotchbrite them clean and smooth....shrug

I did order a new brake line as well as a new caliper... In case this one is failing and creating a one way valve as I have read about...

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I didn't lube them, but I did take the time to scotchbrite them clean and smooth....shrug

I did order a new brake line as well as a new caliper... In case this one is failing and creating a one way valve as I have read about...
I would say you only need pins. Scotchbrite attracted dirt.

·
Anti-Hack
7,736 Posts
Sometimes it’s not just the pins. Rust builds up behind the stainless shims/guides and because rust expands, it pushes the shims together preventing pad release.

Remove the caliper bracket, hit the shim seats with a wire wheel or cutting disk to bring the surface back to spec, hit it with acid, apply Ford nickel antiseize (to prevent oxidiatjon) and reinstall the shims. This isn’t to say pin work isn’t necessary, but 9 times out of 10 I’ve found “seized” calipers to be a shim issue, not a pin issue.

Via the interwebs

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Sometimes it’s not just the pins. Rust builds up behind the stainless shims/guides and because rust expands, it pushes the shims together preventing pad release.

Remove the caliper bracket, hit the shim seats with a wire wheel or cutting disk and to bring the surface back to spec, hit it with acid, apply Ford nickel antiseize (to prevent oxidiatjon) and reinstall the shims. This isn’t to say pin live isn’t necessary, but 9 times out of 10 I’ve found “seized” calipers to be a shim issue, not a pin issue.

Via the interwebs
What he said!
I personally never had seized caliper so didn’t deal with that issue. My suspicion was that you scotchbrite it. Also, if there is a lot of dirt, check rubber caps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I THINK I agree on buying two at once. OTOH, I did just that, and only changed one, and still have the other "used" bulb, in the glove box, just in case I need a spare.

CAUTION on buying a real Phillips Osram --- Last time I worked REALLY hard on trying to find a genuine bulb. At least at that time 80% of the bulbs sold on Amazon, were COUNTERFEIT! (Yeah, all the "decently priced bulbs".) The problem is, you can't easily detect if they are fake or not. And, when they are fake, there are several problems:
  • It won't last nearly as long as it should -- (5-10,000 miles, vs 100,000)
  • The color might be way off
  • The UV COATING is NOT ADEQUATE, and if it is not, the UV will DESTROY a $5,000 light assembly!
I'm sure some are still great. The problem might be trying to find out who has great QA and who doesn't. I think I scored mine from a lighting addon company, with a great dealer network on a 4th of July sale, for... maybe $120 each?

Good luck. Seems that eventually, there should be great bulbs that aren't the name brand. But, they also must be fairly had to make!

Bulb.
Replace both. Osram or Phillips.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I THINK I agree on buying two at once. OTOH, I did just that, and only changed one, and still have the other "used" bulb, in the glove box, just in case I need a spare.

CAUTION on buying a real Phillips Osram --- Last time I worked REALLY hard on trying to find a genuine bulb. At least at that time 80% of the bulbs sold on Amazon, were COUNTERFEIT! (Yeah, all the "decently priced bulbs".) The problem is, you can't easily detect if they are fake or not. And, when they are fake, there are several problems:
  • It won't last nearly as long as it should -- (5-10,000 miles, vs 100,000)
  • The color might be way off
  • The UV COATING is NOT ADEQUATE, and if it is not, the UV will DESTROY a $5,000 light assembly!
I'm sure some are still great. The problem might be trying to find out who has great QA and who doesn't. I think I scored mine from a lighting addon company, with a great dealer network on a 4th of July sale, for... maybe $120 each?

Good luck. Seems that eventually, there should be great bulbs that aren't the name brand. But, they also must be fairly had to make!
Philips and Osram both should come with scan code to check authenticity.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts