BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the green bar at start up supposed to be at 3 full bars rather than on bar with new fresh oil in it?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
dejavoo81 said:
Does the green bar at start up supposed to be at 3 full bars rather than on bar with new fresh oil in it?
Your vehicle doesn`t "know" that it has fresh oil, service lights have to be reset.
1. Dealer can do it, have no idea about cost
2. aftermarket scan tools available (Peake Research) One does just service lights for approx. $50 or upgrade to one that reads trouble codes for $150.
3. I bought the $150 unit, problem is that unless you run the oil to the point where the service indicator is "calling" for an oil change it usually won`t reset (say`s so in the directions) Example, do a service "early" when you have 1/2 of your "bars" left and you can`t reset back to full green. This certainly diminished the value of the tool to me as I`m NOT leaving the oil in ANY car for 8000 to 12000 miles! :tsk:

·
RetiredBum
849 Posts
No idea what yr, miles,etc., your X is.
NEway, most of us that DIY or have it done, Between the Annual Oil Change that BMW offers, do Not have bars reset. The Maint Bars are there for Stlr to allow Insp 1, annual oil changes, etc.
If yours is off Warr., it's moot point, and you can do as 99thfloor suggested.

And, try reading that lil'black book in the glove box called The Manual.
GL,md

·
Registered
525 Posts
99flhr said:
Your vehicle doesn`t "know" that it has fresh oil, service lights have to be reset.
1. Dealer can do it, have no idea about cost
2. aftermarket scan tools available (Peake Research) One does just service lights for approx. $50 or upgrade to one that reads trouble codes for $150.
3. I bought the $150 unit, problem is that unless you run the oil to the point where the service indicator is "calling" for an oil change it usually won`t reset (say`s so in the directions) Example, do a service "early" when you have 1/2 of your "bars" left and you can`t reset back to full green. This certainly diminished the value of the tool to me as I`m NOT leaving the oil in ANY car for 8000 to 12000 miles! :tsk:
Since his X5 is MY01, he doesn't need any special tool to reset the Service Interval Indicator lights. Follow the instructions in the link below (http://www.x5world.com/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=132) to reset them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts