BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I parked my car, went and did something and then returned to my car. I unlocked the driver side door using the remote entry, and guess what, I couldnt open the door!!!

I tried about ten times and finally gave up, I just opened it from inside. It has been two days now and it hasnt happened again. I have always felt that the door handle is not easy to lift. What do you guys think? Ask the dealer to replace the whole door? :D :D :D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
bimmee said:
...snip...Ask the dealer to replace the whole door? :D :D :D
Whole door? Please, I'd ask the dealer to replace the entire car...And throw in a 3.2 liter engine to boot.:tsk:

Sounds like an isolated incident, probably the door latch release cable developed some slack due to the high heat and was getting caught on something. If it happens again, bring it to the dealership while the symptom persists. Otherwise I'd just suck it up and go dukes of hazzard style, the coupe windows are HUGE anyway.

Paint a big confederate flag on your car while you're at it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: I couldnt get in my car...

The HACK said:

Otherwise I'd just suck it up and go dukes of hazzard style, the coupe windows are HUGE anyway.

Paint a big confederate flag on your car while you're at it.
:p

So the heat from parking under the sun has something to do with it?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I couldnt get in my car...

bimmee said:

:p

So the heat from parking under the sun has something to do with it?
No, just a wild guess on my part. You'll need to weld your door shut to TRULY honor the General Lee.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
You are in Hawaii.... ride on the roof!

...Better yet, remove the doors (a la Jeep CJ-7 style) and cruise the island!

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Re: Re: I couldnt get in my car...

The HACK said:
...And throw in a 3.2 liter engine to boot...

Otherwise I'd just suck it up and go dukes of hazzard style, the coupe windows are HUGE anyway.
Yes I have done this before and it was a lot of fun:p

My issue with the 3.2L is that it requires the M power-dome hood, which even when freshly waxed is a big pain in the @ss to slide accross.:banghead:

·
M Mad
10,475 Posts
little<>< said:
Would welding the doors shut increase the torsional rigidity of the body? Hmm, this may be the cheapest mod yet....
Yes, that's why they do it in racing classes that allow it.

Funny thing is also that a race prepped sunroof car is more rigid than a non-sunroof car. The reason is, the sunroof cars have additional roof structure to make up for the hole. When you weld in piece to close the hole, you get all the rigidity of a non-sunroof car, PLUS the added structure put in by the factory. :)

So, if allowed, weld the doors shut, and weld a panel in the sun roof hole.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Bimmee - It could be that the door lock actuator in the door is not working correctly. My car had a problem similiar to yours that when I pushed the lock/unlock button on my remote, the door sometimes wouldn't lock or unlock. It would work at least 75% of the time so I lived with it this way for a long time but one day when I was in for service I had them fix it.

It wasn't a big deal and now I lock/unlock works all the time.

Also, a very remote possiblity is: from what I understand(so I might be wrong), if you lock the car with the interior lock button, there is no way you could open the door from the outside . . . maybe for some strange reason when you locked your door, the software thought the interior door lock button was pressed :dunno:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Alan,

The remote entry works fine, it locks and unlock properly. I could see that little thing(dont know what u call it) came up. It was when I tried to open the door with the latch. It didnt open, I didnt even hear that click sound from the latch. :cry: :cry:

Also it wasnt locked from inside, we left the car, locked the door with the remote and then unlocked with the remote.

This weekend Im gonna take the car in and see what they say.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
The little black peg on my lock would sometimes go up also (when it wasn't working) it just wouldn't go up enough for the door to be unlocked.

Anyway, has it happened again since ? ?

If not, it could be just a freak incident that happened. Cars are strange, in the 2 yrs I've had mine, the stereo was dead twice until I turned the car off & on again, then it worked fine.

Also, unless the dealer can duplicate it, they most likely won't try to fix it

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope, it hasnt happened since. But like I mentioned in my first post, the latch is sometimes hard to lift, i mean, i can lift it, but it takes me quite a bit of strength until it clicks and opens. Sometimes i worry i might break the latch because i am using so much ((((((POWER)))))).

Yes I know the dealer wont do anything if I cant reproduce what I want them to see, but at least I can show them how unfriendly the latch is. Hopefully they can do something about it... :dunno: :dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.