BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people looking to build a track car searc for an old, used, high mileage car. Modding a car with already lots of miles on it wuld make it extremely unreliable (especially running it as hard as they do on the track) wuldnt it?

Im asking this becase I have a 150k mile 528, and I really want to mod it. Only thing that is really making me uncomfortable about modding is its high mileage. I have some big plans in mind as far as mods go, but I feel like this is holding me back. I just got it (it was my dads) so I definately wont get sick of it for a while. Its a great car, and runs real good now.Should I really be worried about this?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Most track hounds aren't rolling in dough so old cars make for cheaper rides. That's especially important if you might wad it up or otherwise damage it (say blow the engine on a missed downshift).

I can't afford to risk my daily driver 330i on track but I wouldn't sweat the loss of an old RX7, Miata, or VW (fitting into some of the cheaper wheel-to-wheel spec racing classes). The things that are "unreliable" about old cars, like engines, trannies, or brakes tend to get exotic rebuilds for the purpose of going faster anyway.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
And a serious track person changes out all the bushing and suspension wear items anyway.

And the other worn parts, like shocks and such as some of the first parts to get replaced with aftermarket. With a serious track car, little is left of the items that might fail.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So in relation to this, what should I want to change out and keep an eye on to keep my car running healthy and for longer?

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
All bushings, rubber brake hoses, and shocks to start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts