Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I will be severely pissed that a new body style will come out while I have the car, if I choose to lease it soon.

So, I was thinking of another car to get, on a 2 year lease, that's less expensive than the 330. Something I can beat up on, something that will move, something that will handle reasonably. Something that's RWD.

I was contemplating the Mazda RX-8, as it's probably the most nimble of all the sports cars that will be coming out. I know the 350Z will be faster, but the RX-8 has reasonable trunk space, RWD, 50:50 perfect weight distribution, and Mazda's interiors aren't as bad as Honda or Toyota.. at least from what I've seen, and from what I know by owning a Millenia right now.

Any other opinions? I've sat in/drove the G35, and it didn't do it for me... very cheezy interior, the stereo sucked terribly. The things it gets credit for is GREAT steering and raw power.

Let me know what you guys think. I am just trying to wait on the next gen 3 series, because anyway, while I'm waiting I can save money for other things.

·
O.G.
8,376 Posts
A lot of people around here think the older BMWs look nicer. There is always something new coming out in the future. Get the car you want now! :dunno:

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spiderm0n said:
A lot of people around here think the older BMWs look nicer. There is always something new coming out in the future. Get the car you want now! :dunno:
Don't get me wrong, I love the car... but I think the responsible thing for me is to save money a bit, and wait for it.. besides, then the car's design will be changed, and perhaps I can get the M3 if I have saved enough money.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I know where you're coming from, since my original plan was to keep my E34 for another two years, and then either get an E46 or a used E36 M3.

However, if I'm going to be buying a 3-series in 2004, why not just wait another year and see what the Bangled version will look like? At that point, if I hate the new car, I have the choice of buying one of the last E46 sedans, or I could get a coupe, which will have another year left on its production run.

The RX-8 won't be out for a little while, and I bet there will be a waiting list for the first cars to be delivered. For that matter, I'm not sure how getting a 2 year lease on the RX-8 will save you much money compared to getting a 2 year lease on a 330.

:dunno:

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PhilH said:
I know where you're coming from, since my original plan was to keep my E34 for another two years, and then either get an E46 or a used E36 M3.

However, if I'm going to be buying a 3-series in 2004, why not just wait another year and see what the Bangled version will look like? At that point, if I hate the new car, I have the choice of buying one of the last E46 sedans, or I could get a coupe, which will have another year left on its production run.

The RX-8 won't be out for a little while, and I bet there will be a waiting list for the first cars to be delivered. For that matter, I'm not sure how getting a 2 year lease on the RX-8 will save you much money compared to getting a 2 year lease on a 330.

:dunno:
There's a $10,000 price difference between the cars :) At least the 330Ci, the way I want it. I can get the RX-8 for just under 30k out the door, loaded.

Besides, I expect that BMW will up the horses a 'bit' at the least, specially since the 5 series seems to be getting a boost, the 3 series should as well in the next generation.

And it would make me really really mad if I got a car that wasn't the best :rolleyes: I'm just an idiot that way... but if I'm going to spend my hard earned money, I want the best for the time... as long as it looks the same while I have my lease :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Go with the moment, go with your first instinct which is the 330. You're never going to catch up to the latest and the greatest and if you keep worrying about the style changing, you'll end up never buying a car that you are happy with.

I personally like the current look of the 2002 330i and I know it will eventually change, but I am going to get a 2003 330i because I simply love the car now. You can't let future change hold you off from what you want and like now. You'll never be caught up.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Hercules said:

There's a $10,000 price difference between the cars :) At least the 330Ci, the way I want it. I can get the RX-8 for just under 30k out the door, loaded.
Where did you find official pricing of the RX-8? All I've heard so far is rumors that it will start under $30k.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Ever consider a used 330i?

Like maybe a black and tan ('ette) '01 with a 5-speed, real myrtle wood trim, moonroof, CD player, HK, power seats, sports package, cold weather package, xenons, ultra-cool M-steering wheel, rubber trunk mat, under 11k miles, available at a really good price?

:D

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
hts said:
Ever consider a used 330i?

Like maybe a black and tan ('ette) '01 with a 5-speed, real myrtle wood trim, moonroof, CD player, HK, power seats, sports package, cold weather package, xenons, ultra-cool M-steering wheel, rubber trunk mat, under 11k miles, available at a really good price?

:D
Making room for a G35, our resident troll? :confused: :p

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got almost a year before I'm doing anything.. so I am just going to wait and see where I am at that point in time, then I'll jump into my obsession :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I agree with going with the flow. I had the choice of holding off to save longer for an M3 (I was going to wait for when they made an 8 cyclinder...) this was along the time of the bearing problems.. I decide to myself that I was going to spend my savings on a 330Ci and then when I had 15 or 20k saved up again probably when I turn 25 or so I was going to step up to the //M line ;) I'm only 22 now and spending 43k instead of 55-60k I think was a good decision...

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, but 43k compared to 30k? That's just too big a difference to just contemplate over.... I know I need to save the money, but I *really* want a 330Ci.

But I'm going to do the smart thing and wait it out, because I do have school loans I can pay back faster if I don't have a huge burden of the 330's payments :)

Besides, after I'm done with this lease, then I can jump into an M3, provided my finances work out right :)

For now though, I'm looking at the 30k range, and I just dislike the looks and utility of the Nissan Z. I've driven the G35 Sedan, and if the Coupe uses the same type materials and stereo, I don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. Driving is not just about DRIVING, it's about an experience inside an automobile. I think I'll be best off with the RX-8 or a 1999 M3, both of which will move, look nice, and give me a good driving experience.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I might be looking at your numbers wrong but a 330 is going to cost you atleast 35k after taxes and tags and thats with nothing on it. Mine fully loaded except 18's and Nav and I walked out 1100 dollars under MSRP paying 43,200.00.
The payments for me isn't a burden I put down 28k...thats why you should save, my payments are only 307 a month for 5 years I should have it paid off in 2 years easily and I'm movin up to M3 territory :O)

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Rufus330Ci said:
I might be looking at your numbers wrong but a 330 is going to cost you atleast 35k after taxes and tags and thats with nothing on it. Mine fully loaded except 18's and Nav and I walked out 1100 dollars under MSRP paying 43,200.00.
The payments for me isn't a burden I put down 28k...thats why you should save, my payments are only 307 a month for 5 years I should have it paid off in 2 years easily and I'm movin up to M3 territory :O)
Youngster in an M3.........:confused:

I like it though:thumbup:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hahaha. I don't want the 330 to leave the family in a couple years Phil how much do you think I should sell it to my mom for after 3-4 years with roughly 30k miles on it ;O)

If I can get 25-27k out of her and then have another 10-15 for a downpayment I would probably only have 5-10k to pay off for the new M3 :thumbup:

Why am I thinking of this already!?! I love my car :D

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Rufus330Ci said:
Hahaha. I don't want the 330 to leave the family in a couple years Phil how much do you think I should sell it to my mom for after 3-4 years with roughly 30k miles on it ;O)

If I can get 25-27k out of her and then have another 10-15 for a downpayment I would probably only have 5-10k to pay off for the new M3 :thumbup:

Why am I thinking of this already!?! I love my car :D
The way you drive you'll be lucky to have 20k on it:tsk:

For mom you better do trade-in at the maximum, especially since you are still living at home:eeps:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Oh Phil do you know if Josh (PA) is out of town? I sent him a private message yesterday about the trip :eeps: Maybe he didn't see it. I was just wondering. Only 3 more days till I get to drive threw the woods with the windows all the way open smelling that sap and living like I'm 50 :bigpimp:

·
Registered
679 Posts
The Off-Topic Forum has been dead lately I gotta get some good pics with my tripod/monopod up there in Bucks County. I'm taking a compass (just in case) by the way :angel:

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rufus330Ci said:
Yea, so if I spend less money on leasing a 30k car, I can save the other money and get an M3 later on :)

I don't mind waiting... I just want to get what I want! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts