BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to order 325 and leaning towards the idrive. Can someone give me a very detailed description of what extra I will have b/c of this system. Also, I wont be getting bluetooth or bmw assist, how will this effect the systems capabilities? What are some of the cooler tricks w/ the system? Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would the "Communication" section would be replaced w/ or what it would its use be w/o having bluetooth or bmw assist?

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is nothing in there you can't live without, but there are some nice things too.

Cool things:

- Having maps of everywhere you can think of, with different ways to view them.

- Four different algorythms to reach destination (The system has no knowledge of traffic conditions, it's not there yet).

- Access to some functions normally the dealer sets on the car (Doors locking when the car starts moving, etc...) and status of a lot of components of the car.

- Voice recognition.

Downsides:

- No MP3 playing capability of the in-dash CD.

- Certain people talked about delays when accessing certain menus, I didn't notice that when I had a demonstration but that was for a short time.

- Some people don't like the double-bubble dash, but I do.

- I have no idea if this will have any adverse effect on resale value, because this system is rather controversial.

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
Cool things continued:
-when someone calls you on the BT phone, the big display comes up showing the caller info and asks if you want to take the call. Great for impressing your friends. I also think you need the big screen if you are trucking through your address book.
-yellow pages like attractions included in the map system (shops, restaurants by type, stadiums, parks etc etc etc)
-friendly talking lady included: we call ours "The Brain"

Bad things continued:
-irritating legal disclaimer that you have to agree to before you can do anything in iDrive and comes up every time you turn the car on.
-interface needs improving

·
Registered
47 Posts
Blax said:
Bad things continued:
-irritating legal disclaimer that you have to agree to before you can do anything in iDrive and comes up every time you turn the car on.
-interface needs improving
the legal crap is not limited to iDrive. My wifes' 330cic has it too...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Username18 said:
What would the "Communication" section would be replaced w/ or what it would its use be w/o having bluetooth or bmw assist?
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be "replaced" with anything. It would just be non-fuctional. If you did not get the iDrive and did not have either Premium or Assist (basically, you don't have Bluetooth), the standard Professional radio and steering wheel will have the "phone" buttons and menu. They are just non-functional.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my opinion iDrive is great, but i would seriously recommend Bluetooth, it is seriously top quality and i dont think any aftermarket kit would even slightly compare!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have doubts about BlueTooth. Nothing against it's implementation, but more of a general feeling that it may be paying a lot for something that may not be there that long.

The standard did not become as popular as was expected, and with the future arrival of Wireless-USB (60 megs/second transfer speed at 3 meters), it could send BlueTooth the way of the Beta VCR or the VideoDisc. It's the sort of technology you just can't tell if it will hold on, and paying for an option so closely related to a rapidly evolving electronics market has some risk (Namely the possibility of not finding any BT-compatible device in 10-15 years).

·
2,457 Posts
Wolf359 said:
I have doubts about BlueTooth. Nothing against it's implementation, but more of a general feeling that it may be paying a lot for something that may not be there that long.

The standard did not become as popular as was expected, and with the future arrival of Wireless-USB (60 megs/second transfer speed at 3 meters), it could send BlueTooth the way of the Beta VCR or the VideoDisc. It's the sort of technology you just can't tell if it will hold on, and paying for an option so closely related to a rapidly evolving electronics market has some risk (Namely the possibility of not finding any BT-compatible device in 10-15 years).
I wouldn't use the reasoning that there might be another standard around in 10-15 years, as a basis for getting any option. That doesn't make sense to me at all.

In Europe BT became a common standard 2 years ago. We're just starting to adopt it in the US now. Most high-end marques are offering it, and almost all high end mobile phones are BT capable, with entry level ones starting to appear with BT as well. It's hard to say the standard is going away any time soon, when it's just getting into the swing of the technology now.

Why get a CD player, when there will be some new technologies to replace CD's in the future? :dunno:

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
Wolf359 said:

I'd say that in the US BlueTooth IS becoming the standard this year. You just have to look at the anti-Verizon backlash for lack of BT phones to see how people are getting into it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What Blax said.

My step dad had a 8 track in is old corvette and I used to tease him all the time (and then make him let me drive with Supertramp's Breakfast in America at full volume)

Eventually bluetooth will be replaced by something else. But I am sure it will be around for a while, and even when the rest of the world has moved on to greentooth or soylent-wifi or what ever the next standard is called bluetooth will, like the 8-track, still work just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts