BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that know me here, the news is I'vre finally decided to get the retrofit for my 6/00 production 330Ci. I am probably the last of the June 2000 production guys to get it done.

I had work done to my steering rack a week or two ago and it really made the highway driving twitchy which I don't like. I could live with the steeering being a little lighter than it was but it really stinks on the highway.

It's almost a shame I brought it in to the dealer in the first place and drove the 2002 330i because that steering is so perfect !!!

Plus my 2001 had heavier steering then most other 2001's steering so the retrofit wasn't needed but now that they replaced this bolt that relieves pressure, it just isn't the same.'

The bad news is it won't be getting done until the 1st week fo June . . .
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
FINALLY

:tsk:

Can we now put this issue to bed:dunno:

j/k Alan............6 weeks to wait though :mad: I'm so glad I go to a smaller dealer that can fit you in within a day or so :thumb:
 

·
I'm a Mac
Joined
·
17,699 Posts
Alan, my good friend, you're making a H-U-G-E mistake.

Don't do it. Believe me, you don't want anything to do with the extra effort required to handle/manipulate the 'revised steering' rack. It's just not worth it, and could possibly be the biggest mistake of your life!

From one (future) Ody owner to another...

For the love of God, DON'T DO IT!!!!!
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hts said:
Alan, my good friend, you're making a H-U-G-E mistake.

Don't do it. Believe me, you don't want anything to do with the extra effort required to handle/manipulate the 'revised steering' rack. It's just not worth it, and could possibly be the biggest mistake of your life!

From one (future) Ody owner to another...

For the love of God, DON'T DO IT!!!!!
I remeber when you posted this back on the org and I wasn't sure if you were serious or not.

If this is the biggest mistake I ever make then I am a lucky guy !!

From a Current Ody owner to a future Ody owner . . . are kidding me or are you serious ? ?

Also, I would YOU to know you are making a good decision getting the and you are lucky because you could now get leahter and heated seats in the Ody. In MY 2000 you could only get cloth (or whatever Honda calls that velvety stuff) :cry:
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: FINALLY

PM 325xiT said:
:tsk:

Can we now put this issue to bed:dunno:

j/k Alan............6 weeks to wait though :mad: I'm so glad I go to a smaller dealer that can fit you in within a day or so :thumb:
Don't worry Phil . . . we still have 6 weeks left to talk about my steering problems :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

BTW where my buddy Mike ? ? ?
 

·
I'm a Mac
Joined
·
17,699 Posts
Alan,

You know I'm just f'ing with you--get the retrofit--you'll be glad you did!! I haven't bothered to drive an '02 yet (partly because I don't care much for the redesigned front headlights and partly because I'm afraid I'd love the new steering rack even more than my retrofit).

WRT to the Ody, I suspect that's what we'll end up with. We're definitely leaning in that direction, and I've found a source for $1,500 OFF MSRP--not too shabby. We'd like to get BOTH the DVD player and the DVD-Nav system, so we'll wait until the '03's come out to see if the geniuses at Honda have figured out a way to provide BOTH in the same vehicle (if not, we'll get the Nav from Honda and do a DVD entertainment system after-market).

We looked at the new MPV's and they're a big improvement over last year (and you can get them for around $1,500 UNDER invoice), but we didn't like them nearly as much as the Ody's. Finally, Toyota is rumored to be totally redesigning the Sienna for '03, but it's not supposed to be out until Jan '03 (or so), so we may or may not wait till then to see what they've come up with.

:)
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: FINALLY

Alan F said:


Don't worry Phil . . . we still have 6 weeks left to talk about my steering problems :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

BTW where my buddy Mike ? ? ?
Goody 6 more weeks of fun:thumb:

Mike's out of the office for the rest of the week. Might be paying a visit to some of the board memebers though:dunno: :D
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
You know Alan after reading about the cut tire incident today for CCs328Ci a thought just jumped into my head:confused:

As I recall you never had a real complaint about your steering until after you put your winter treads on.:eek: Is it possible that the difference in handling caused your sense of steering to become more keen:dunno: Thus when you put your SP wheels back on the probelm surfaced:yikes: Or worse the agressive driving on winter tires caused your steering to loosen:dunno:

BTW did you sell your extra wheels? They were style 79s weren't they? If they are really evil I'd be glad to take them off your hands since I like you:bigpimp:

Just having a little fun, need to fill in those 6 weeks:D
 

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
Alan, are they doing it for nothing? BMW is doing this for you? congrats.. My steering is obvoiusly the heavy steering before they changed it.. Because when I drove the loaner I had 01 model, it was light as a feather. THen I drove mine and it was SO heavy.. My car was built in March 2000 :)
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PM 325xiT said:
You know Alan after reading about the cut tire incident today for CCs328Ci a thought just jumped into my head:confused:

As I recall you never had a real complaint about your steering until after you put your winter treads on.:eek: Is it possible that the difference in handling caused your sense of steering to become more keen:dunno: Thus when you put your SP wheels back on the probelm surfaced:yikes: Or worse the agressive driving on winter tires caused your steering to loosen:dunno:

BTW did you sell your extra wheels? They were style 79s weren't they? If they are really evil I'd be glad to take them off your hands since I like you:bigpimp:

Just having a little fun, need to fill in those 6 weeks:D
Phil, the reason I even realized my steering was a little weird was because I tested it out for someone who said they had uneven boost and it ended up I had the same. The bolt (which has a pressure release in it BTW) was bad so when they replaced it and my steering is now like other 2001 330's which means it is really light feeling.

I am sure it had nothing to do with switching the tires which I ended up switching them to the M68's a couple of months ago since it was such a mild winter.

About the type 79 Wheels - I got one or two repsonses from the advertisement I had out but after I responded to the people they never got back to me, anyway I decided I'll keep them because I figure if I end up with a 330i, I will want to use them for winter time or even if I keep the 330Ci (doubtful) I'll need them in winter also. It's just not worth selling them to get $700-800.

If I sell trade in the 330 for a non-bmw car (like the A4) then I'll sell them to someone for a very good price just to get rid of them.

About CC328 . . . did he post a message on the board about what happened to his tires or are you just going by the post he made in Hacks thread about the topaz blue curse . . . I want to know what happened !!
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CCs328Ci said:
Alan, are they doing it for nothing? BMW is doing this for you? congrats.. My steering is obvoiusly the heavy steering before they changed it.. Because when I drove the loaner I had 01 model, it was light as a feather. THen I drove mine and it was SO heavy.. My car was built in March 2000 :)
Craig, yes it's free . . . what the h*ll happened to your tires ? ? ? I left you a post in hacks thread about the topaz curse . . . also I just posted the post above around the same time as you !!
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
Alan F said:


Phil, the reason I even realized my steering was a little weird was because I tested it out for someone who said they had uneven boost and it ended up I had the same. The bolt (which has a pressure release in it BTW) was bad so when they replaced it and my steering is now like other 2001 330's which means it is really light feeling.

I am sure it had nothing to do with switching the tires which I ended up switching them to the M68's a couple of months ago since it was such a mild winter.

About the type 79 Wheels - I got one or two repsonses from the advertisement I had out but after I responded to the people they never got back to me, anyway I decided I'll keep them because I figure if I end up with a 330i, I will want to use them for winter time or even if I keep the 330Ci (doubtful) I'll need them in winter also. It's just not worth selling them to get $700-800.

If I sell trade in the 330 for a non-bmw car (like the A4) then I'll sell them to someone for a very good price just to get rid of them.

About CC328 . . . did he post a message on the board about what happened to his tires or are you just going by the post he made in Hacks thread about the topaz blue curse . . . I want to know what happened !!
Bad tire day post

Alan I was just haveing some fun to fill in the 6 week wait:D

You're smart to keep the wheels but if you opt out of the BMW line, let me know and I'll make you an offer:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
retro fit

I had mine done a few months ago and the change was so mynute IMO it wasn't worth the time it took to have it done.BMWNA said that because my car was built in the tenth week it was posible that the change was already in the car.you still can't get good road feel at higher speeds like in the older cars.If your boost is heavy and you have a little trouble parking IMO put up with it and don't get the retrofit.
good luck in whatever your choice
vern
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top