BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the time spent on the car today was centered around getting the radiator installed. Installing the radiator also meant finalizing the oil cooler matrix mounting brackets. I swapped in an S-54 oil filter housing and ordered all the S-54 oil cooler parts while waiting on the turbo package to arrive. But I didn't want to mount the oil cooler itself until the intercooler and ducts were in place.

Here's a few shots of the Zionsville aluminum radiator after welding on the oil cooler mounts (the welder at Zionsville doesn't have to worry about me stealing his job...).

A shot of the intercooler after getting the bumper back on.

Intercooler and oil cooler.

And more views of the oil cooler from under the car.

For anyone that is new around here, the red turbo coupe is not my car.

To follow the turbo installation, go here.

·
866 Posts
I spent all day yesterday installing my oil cooler and an S54 radiator along with the filter housing, the Randy Forbes distribution block, and all other associated parts required to accomplish this feat. Boy, what a job. :yikes:

Unlike the red coupe installation, my oil cooler attaches to brackets included at the bottom of the S54 radiator. When installed, it hides the cooler exactly behind the AC condenser. This resulting placement leads me to a question. Is this a disadvantage compared to it hanging below the condenser like the red coupe's does? Clearly, any airstream will have to be pushed through the condenser to get to the oil cooler. Obviously it works the same way for the radiator. Even if I wanted it lower, there doesn't appear to be any choice in my installation as the brackets won't let it go lower. And, the piping for the cooler didn't appear to be long enough to extend it downward any further.

The plastic underbody pieces detailed in the part number list will not fit into my installation. There was an existing piece that was attached to the lowest plastic panel that I did not reinstall. It had a vertical piece in it that reached upward toward the condenser and radiator. I'm trying to determine if that piece is needed. When installed, could it block airflow from going underneath the radiator / condenser combo by forcing it through them as an escape path? If so, I need to install it. I may have answered my own question.

Fortunately I don't have any leaks from oil or coolant. The oil temps are lower right out of the box. The real test will be during our hot days here in the South.

Randy, the distribution block worked flawlessly. Thanks for your technical insight in preparing this critical piece, and your willingness to provide it to all of us. :thumbup:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Dwayne, congrats on the install. I am gonna have to cruise up there and check it out. Hopefully, I can get working on that project myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts